1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alternating current+Oscillation

1. Oct 26, 2009 #1
    Hi, It's my first poste here.

2 metal, thin, bars (length=l, mass=m) are hung on same height (distance between bars-d)
    Lower end of bars are conected by metal spring (mass=0, k-spring constant, d-length)
    Upper end of bars are connected with alternating current source (f-frequency).
    For what f there will be strong, with ascending amplitude, oscillation. Root mean square is I.

I will be really gratefull for any seggestions.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2009 #2
    Where's the force? What is causing it? The best way for electricity to produce a force is by using electric currents in coils.
    Bob S.

4. Oct 26, 2009 #3
    so You mean that there will be a force betwen each of roll ? First i thing that the main force will be come from the bars... You know...F~I^2/d * l...
    Could You say something more ?

But still I don't know how to conect a force and frequency...
    maybe f will be conected with period of oscillation of compound pendulum ??

5. Oct 28, 2009 #4
    Bob, I will be grateful if You could say something more...

My main problem is How the force is conected with frequency.

6. Oct 28, 2009 #5
    The magnetic force between the two bars is dependent on the magnitudes of the currents flowing in the two bars, that's a fact that you er..somewhat established up there right? Take note, at this point, that the current is alternating - periodically varying over time with a certain frequency f. Thus, the force between the two bars also changes with time in manner related to the frequency f of the source.

7. Nov 4, 2009 #6
    Ok. I know why the bars are oscillating, but my main problem is how. The frequency of force is 2xf, isn't it ? and now... there is problem with resonance... I must calculate a resonance frequency of coils or bars ?
    The mas of cails =0 so i suppose that a normal mode of an oscillating -->0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook