Alternating Series Test Conditions

In summary, the Alternating Series Test is used to determine convergence or divergence of an alternating series. If the limit of the terms does not go to 0, then the series diverges. If the limit is 0, then the series may converge or diverge depending on the conditions of the test. If the conditions are met, the series is convergent, and if they are not met, the test is inconclusive and another test should be used. The Alternating Series Test is not a mandatory test for alternating series, and other tests such as the absolute convergence test, ratio test, comparison test, and integral test can also be used to determine convergence or divergence.
Lebombo

Homework Statement

This is what I understand about Alternating Series right now:

If I have an alternate series, I can apply the alternative series test.

[itex]\sum(-1)^{n}a_{n}[/itex]

Condition 1: Nth term test on [itex]a_{n}[/itex]

Condition 2: 0 < [itex] a_{n+1} ≤ a_{n}[/itex]If condition 1 is positive or ∞, convergence is inconclusive, try another test.

If condition 1 is 0, then go to condition 2.

If condition 2 is false, then convergence is inconclusive, try another test.

If condition 2 is true, then series is convergent, go to absolute convergence test.Absolute convergence test

[itex]\sum |a_{n}|[/itex]

Choose a test to find convergence or divergence.

If convergent, Alternating series is absolutely convergent.

If divergent, Alternating series is conditionally convergent.So my questions come from applying Alternating Series Conditions 1 and 2.

Question 1:
If condition 1 is positive or ∞ (instead of 0), then the test is said to be inconclusive, but then what test can then be applied? It looks like Condition 1 is sort of the nth term test, so I would be inclined to think that a positive or ∞ would imply divergence. So if it doesn't imply divergence (only inconclusiveness), what then?

Question 2:
If condition 1 turns out to be 0 and condition 2 is tested and turns out false, the test is said to be inconclusive, but then, again, what test can be applied thereafter?

Physics news on Phys.org
P.S.

If condition 1 or 2 of the Alternating Series test fails and shows inconclusive, can I then apply the Ratio test to the Alternating Series to test for convergence/divergence?
EDIT: UPDATE:From what I've just learned, I don't necessarily have to do the Alternating Series Test on an Alternating Series. I can just skip it and jump directly to the Absolute Convergence Test and use any other test to determine convergence/divergence, such as ratio, comparison, integral test. Alternating Series Test is not a mandatory test for Alternating Series. Is this in fact true?

Last edited:
Lebombo said:

Homework Statement

Condition 2: 0 < [itex] a_{n+1} ≤ a_{n}[/itex]

If condition 1 is positive or ∞, convergence is inconclusive, try another test.
If condition 1 is 0, then go to condition 2.

If condition 2 is false, then convergence is inconclusive, try another test.

If condition 2 is true, then series is convergent, go to absolute convergence test.

Absolute convergence test

[itex]\sum |a_{n}|[/itex]

Choose a test to find convergence or divergence.

If convergent, Alternating series is absolutely convergent.

If divergent, Alternating series is conditionally convergent.

So my questions come from applying Alternating Series Conditions 1 and 2.

Question 1:
If condition 1 is positive or ∞ (instead of 0), then the test is said to be inconclusive, but then what test can then be applied? It looks like Condition 1 is sort of the nth term test, so I would be inclined to think that a positive or ∞ would imply divergence. So if it doesn't imply divergence (only inconclusiveness), what then?

I suppose your condition 1 is really whether or not ##a_n\to 0##. If not the series diverges and if so go to condition 2.

Question 2:
If condition 1 turns out to be 0 and condition 2 is tested and turns out false, the test is said to be inconclusive, but then, again, what test can be applied thereafter?

You can test for absolute convergence with any of the standard tests. Most text problems will be solved when you have done all that. If you actually run into a series in your homework where nothing works, it's time to ask your teacher and see if he can solve it.

Likes 1 person
Lebombo said:
P.S.

If condition 1 or 2 of the Alternating Series test fails and shows inconclusive, can I then apply the Ratio test to the Alternating Series to test for convergence/divergence?
EDIT: UPDATE:From what I've just learned, I don't necessarily have to do the Alternating Series Test on an Alternating Series. I can just skip it and jump directly to the Absolute Convergence Test and use any other test to determine convergence/divergence, such as ratio, comparison, integral test. Alternating Series Test is not a mandatory test for Alternating Series. Is this in fact true?

Yes. You would usually test for absolute convergence first, since if it works, you are done. But if it isn't absolutely convergent and it is alternating, try the alternating series stuff.

Likes 1 person
Lebombo said:

Homework Statement

Condition 2: 0 < [itex] a_{n+1} ≤ a_{n}[/itex]

If condition 1 is positive or ∞, convergence is inconclusive, try another test.
This isn't quite correct. If the limit isn't equal to 0, you can conclude that the series diverges. There's no need to do additional tests.

Likes 1 person
Are you sure vela. I read that you can never conclude divergence from the alternating series test alone. The only thing you can do is conclude inconclusive and try a new test.

Lebombo said:
Are you sure vela. I read that you can never conclude divergence from the alternating series test alone. The only thing you can do is conclude inconclusive and try a new test.

If the terms don't converge to zero, then the series diverges, whether or not it is alternating.

If ##a_n \rightarrow 0## but not monotonically, then you can't conclude anything from the alternating series test. The series may converge or diverge.

okay, would I be understanding you correctly if I said:

Given the alternating series Ʃ((-1)^n)(a_{n}) , if I apply the Nth term test on the entire thing, ((-1)^n)(a_{n}), it will diverge if the limit is anything other than zero.

However, given the same series Ʃ((-1)^n)(a_{n}), if I apply condition 1 of the alternating series test, which is the Nth term test on just the (a_{n}) portion, the test is inconclusive if the limit is anything other than zero.

No. If ##a_n## doesn't go to 0, then ##(-1)^n a_n## isn't going to go to 0 either. If the terms of the sequence do not converge to 0, the series diverges, period.

What is the Alternating Series Test?

The Alternating Series Test is a mathematical test used to determine whether an infinite series converges or diverges. It is based on the alternating signs of the terms in the series.

What are the conditions for the Alternating Series Test to be applicable?

The Alternating Series Test is applicable when the terms in the series alternate in sign, decrease in absolute value, and approach zero as n increases.

What is the formula for the Alternating Series Test?

The formula for the Alternating Series Test is: −1nan, where an represents the nth term in the series.

How can the Alternating Series Test be used to determine convergence or divergence?

If the conditions for the Alternating Series Test are met, then the series is said to be convergent. If the conditions are not met, then the series is divergent.

What is an example of using the Alternating Series Test to determine convergence or divergence?

For example, the series −1/2 + 1/4 − 1/8 + 1/16 − 1/32 + ... satisfies the conditions for the Alternating Series Test and therefore converges to a value of 1/3.