Alternative differentiation notation?

In summary: The Euler notation typically refers to the use of the D operator in differential equations, not in derivatives.
Timothy S
To express the derivative of a particular function, I have recently come across a "new" notation. For the function x2-3x for example, can you write the derivative operator like this?

x2-3x dx . I heard this is called the Euler notation, is it valid?

Physics news on Phys.org
To express the derivative of a particular function, I have recently come across..
... where?
Without the context it is very difficult to advise you.

... a "new" notation. For the function x2-3x for example, can you write the derivative operator like this?

x2-3x dx .

To be an operator, it has to have some way to receive the input function and some way to output one. So no, that is not an operator.

If we put ## y=x^2-3x##, then ##dy = (2x-3)dx## is just the usual use of Liebnitz notation.

I heard this is called the Euler notation, is it valid?
... people are free to define whatever notation they want and call it any name they like - so long as they spell that out in some sort of preamble and are consistent within the text.

However you have not described "Euler Notation" as it is usually defined.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notation_for_differentiation#Euler.27s_notation

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Timothy S said:
To express the derivative of a particular function, I have recently come across a "new" notation. For the function x2-3x for example, can you write the derivative operator like this?

If f(x) = x2 - 3x, then currently acceptable forms of indicating the derivative can be noted as:

f'(x) = 2x - 3, which is read "f-prime of x equals ..." or (Lagrange)

df/dx = 2x - 3, which is read "the derivative of f with respect to x equals ..." (Leibniz)

Over the years, especially in the 17th and 18th centuries, calculus notation was in a state of flux (get it?), with different notation being preferred in England to that preferred on the Continent. Scientists in England preferred the dot notation used by Newton, which is commonly seen today for expressions with derivatives taken w.r.t. time.

Scientists on the Continent preferred the d-notation developed by Leibniz or the prime notation due to Lagrange.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notation_for_differentiation

Don't use that notation for the derivative. Regardless what Euler did, that notation means something else now. @SteamKing's link gives the common notations. It says that 'D'is called the Euler notation for the differentiation operator. It is very commonly used.

Timothy S said:

No, what you have is the differential of the function. If df/dx = x2 - 3x represents the derivative of f with respect to x, then df = (x2 - 3x)dx represents the differential of f.

1. What is alternative differentiation notation?

Alternative differentiation notation is a mathematical notation used to represent the derivative of a function. It is an alternative to the traditional notation of using the prime symbol (') or the Leibniz notation (dy/dx).

2. Why use alternative differentiation notation?

Alternative differentiation notation can be useful in certain situations where the traditional notation may be difficult to read or understand. It also allows for more flexibility in representing higher order derivatives.

3. What are the different types of alternative differentiation notation?

There are several types of alternative differentiation notation, including the Newton notation (f'), the Lagrange notation (Dxf), and the Euler notation (Dyf).

4. How does alternative differentiation notation differ from traditional notation?

Alternative differentiation notation differs from traditional notation in the symbols used to represent the derivative. It also offers more options for representing higher order derivatives.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using alternative differentiation notation?

One drawback of alternative differentiation notation is that it may not be as widely recognized or used as traditional notation. This can make it more difficult for others to understand your work if you use alternative notation.