Alternative Energy as a career path in Physics?

In summary: I'd say your best bet is to get some experience in programming, and engineering (in addition to 'applied physics' courses). If you can program, and you understand physics, there will generally be a job for you in just about any tech company.
pergradus
I'm starting my junior year in the fall, and I'm starting to think about what I really want to do with my physics degree once I earn it. To me, it seems like alternative energy is a good direction to go, because it's a very real problem in the modern world and I feel like there's going to be a lot of money there one day soon.

I know "alternative energy" can describe a huge range of subjects, but what I'm interested in is doing physics for practical real-world application, as opposed to fundamental research like astro-physics or particle physics. (please don't get caught up in what is and isn't practical...)

Any thoughts about this? Any areas in alternative energies that look promising? Nuclear? Solar? I want to start taking courses that may apply to these areas, if this is the direction I'm going to go...

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a fantastic plan. 'Nuclear' isn't generally considered a form of 'alternative' energy, but that is a big direction that physics people go in. 'Photovoltaics' (solar cells) is also huge. Lots of the more novel directions (new types of wind power, hydro power, etc etc) are often primarily engineers; and biochemistry stuff is often biochemists.

I'd say your best bet is to get some experience in programming, and engineering (in addition to 'applied physics' courses). If you can program, and you understand physics, there will generally be a job for you in just about any tech company.

zhermes said:
Sounds like a fantastic plan. 'Nuclear' isn't generally considered a form of 'alternative' energy, but that is a big direction that physics people go in. 'Photovoltaics' (solar cells) is also huge. Lots of the more novel directions (new types of wind power, hydro power, etc etc) are often primarily engineers; and biochemistry stuff is often biochemists.

I'd say your best bet is to get some experience in programming, and engineering (in addition to 'applied physics' courses). If you can program, and you understand physics, there will generally be a job for you in just about any tech company.

Thanks for the reply. I have some programming experience - I took C++ and Java courses. What depth of knowledge are you referring to though?

Also, any engineering courses you recommend? I'm taking one in the fall called electronic instrumentation - but I'm not sure how useful it will be.

pergradus said:
I'm starting my junior year in the fall, and I'm starting to think about what I really want to do with my physics degree once I earn it. To me, it seems like alternative energy is a good direction to go, because it's a very real problem in the modern world and I feel like there's going to be a lot of money there one day soon.

I know "alternative energy" can describe a huge range of subjects, but what I'm interested in is doing physics for practical real-world application, as opposed to fundamental research like astro-physics or particle physics. (please don't get caught up in what is and isn't practical...)

I can relate to your motivation a lot!

Do you want to specialize in one specific class of energy technology or are you interested in different technologies and planning of combined system?

I am asking because I believe there are (at least) two ways to approach 'alternative energy' as a student. On the one hand you can pick a specific technology and became an expert in this only, such as selecting semiconductor physics and building solar cells or studying engineering and design heat pumps.

(Disclaimer: The following is based on my knowledge of curricula in middle Europe)
On the other hand there are also interdisciplinary master programmes called Renewable Energy Systems or the like. These programmes give you 'the big picture' on all kinds of technologies including engineering, legal and economic aspects. You need some engineering or science degree to be accepted.

I believe it depends on whether you rather want to work in R&D later and design and build specific devices or if you might be interested in taking existing components and combining them into the final system and designing the interfaces (like controllers). The latter may sound less challenging at the first glance, but I believe that in alternative energy systems technologies it is all about these interfaces and connections. In order to utilize photovoltaics or wind power reasonable you need to find a solution in how to store energy and/or transport energy from 'energy production sites' to 'energy consumption sites' based on demands.

I definitely see alternative energy as a promising career path in physics. The world is facing a growing need for sustainable energy sources, and this presents a great opportunity for physicists to use their skills and knowledge to make a real impact.

There are numerous areas within alternative energy that are worth exploring, such as nuclear, solar, wind, and hydro power. Each of these has its own unique challenges and opportunities, and it's important to consider your interests and strengths when choosing a specific area to focus on.

In terms of courses to take, I would recommend looking into courses that cover the fundamentals of energy, as well as courses in materials science, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism. These will provide a strong foundation for understanding the principles behind alternative energy technologies.

It's also important to keep in mind that alternative energy is a rapidly evolving field, so it's important to stay updated on new developments and technologies. This could involve attending conferences, networking with professionals in the field, and staying informed through scientific journals and publications.

Overall, I believe that alternative energy is a great direction to go in as a physicist, and I encourage you to continue exploring this field and gaining hands-on experience through internships or research opportunities. Best of luck in your studies and future career!

1. What is alternative energy?

Alternative energy refers to any form of energy that is produced from sources other than fossil fuels. This can include renewable sources such as solar, wind, hydro, geothermal, and biomass energy.

2. How does physics play a role in alternative energy?

Physics is the study of energy and its properties. Alternative energy relies heavily on physics principles to understand and harness different forms of energy. For example, solar panels use the photovoltaic effect, wind turbines convert kinetic energy into electrical energy, and hydroelectric power plants utilize the conversion of potential energy to kinetic energy.

3. What career paths are available in alternative energy for physicists?

There are various career paths in alternative energy for physicists, including research and development, design and construction, project management, and consulting. Physicists can also work in specific fields such as solar energy, wind energy, or energy storage.

4. What skills are important for a career in alternative energy?

Some important skills for a career in alternative energy include a strong understanding of physics principles, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, computer and data analysis skills, and communication and collaboration skills. Additionally, knowledge in renewable energy technologies and sustainability practices is also beneficial.

5. What are the future prospects for alternative energy as a career path?

The future looks bright for alternative energy as a career path. With the increasing demand for renewable energy and the push towards sustainable practices, there will be a growing need for professionals in the field. As technology continues to advance, there will also be opportunities for innovation and growth in the industry.