Alternative for Mineral Oil on Bread Boards

• Thread starter Dav333
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oil
In summary, baby oil should not be used on a breadboard because it contains mineral oil which can be overpriced and may contain fragrances.
Dav333
I have made some bread boards out of hardwood & heard to preserve them you coat with Mineral oil. I can't find any locally & was hoping there is something else i can use?

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Dav333 said:
I have made some bread boards out of hardwood & heard to preserve them you coat with Mineral oil. I can't find any locally & was hoping there is something else i can use?
You can usually find it at the drugstore. Ask the Pharmacist.

Yes, drug stores carry food-grade mineral oil. The trim on our kitchen counters is raw cherry, and the surfaces are slate and limestone. We treat all those surfaces with food-grade mineral oil.

Dav333 said:

I agree with Evo- mineral oil is available at nearly every drugstore and grocery store in the US.

My local hardware store has "Butcher Block Oil" in the painting section. I've also seen it advertised as "salad bowl oil".

cool thanks for the replies

Mineral oil does not dry, it stays on the surface of the wood, so you have to reapply it periodically -as Turbo noted.

Walnut oil is a drying oil. It will penetrate and then react with oxygen in the air over time to become permanently bound to the wood. There are a lot of other edible drying oils - safflower oil, poppy seed oil...

See
http://www.sanders-studios.com/instruction/tutorials/historyanddefinitions/dryingoils.html

jim mcnamara said:
Mineral oil does not dry, it stays on the surface of the wood, so you have to reapply it periodically -as Turbo noted.

Walnut oil is a drying oil. It will penetrate and then react with oxygen in the air over time to become permanently bound to the wood. There are a lot of other edible drying oils - safflower oil, poppy seed oil...

See
http://www.sanders-studios.com/instruction/tutorials/historyanddefinitions/dryingoils.html

Must be careful that those oils do not become rancid, mineral oil needs applicaiton, but is never rancid. I sometimes enjoy curing a butcher's block, or seasoning cast iron. It's a nice ritual, in a way.

Food-grade mineral oil is the stuff to use. It comes in at least a couple of different "weights". We normally use the heavy stuff, apply it with a cotton cloth, and wipe off the excess after letting it sit a bit. For the first application on a new cutting board, it might be a good idea to use the lighter formulation to get better penetration, then use the heavy stuff for follow-up.

IcedEcliptic said:
Must be careful that those oils do not become rancid, mineral oil needs applicaiton, but is never rancid. I sometimes enjoy curing a butcher's block, or seasoning cast iron. It's a nice ritual, in a way.

yeah, don't use corn oil (rancid)

You might also be able to find mineral oil in a cookware store, but it will be needlessly overpriced.

Evo said:
You might also be able to find mineral oil in a cookware store, but it will be needlessly overpriced.

I would think you would prefer EVOO. ;)

Found some, its also called baby oil.

Dav333 said:
Yes, that's correct. And it is also sometimes referred to as "light sweet crude oil." Which is the same stuff as "SAE 30," aka "Bar and Chain oil." Although it might be sold as "lamp oil" in your local craft store.

Just in case you didn't detect it...

NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Baby oil should not be used on a breadboard!

Dav333 said:
Oh dear, baby oil contains mineral oil, but I'm not aware of any baby oil that contains nothing but pure food grade mineral oil. Where do you live?

Evo said:
Oh dear, baby oil contains mineral oil, but I'm not aware of any baby oil that contains nothing but pure food grade mineral oil. Where do you live?

I hear that LSC makes is being marketed by BP as an alternative to baby oil and food grade mineral oil... for otters. :)

Evo said:
Most commercially-available baby oil contains fragrances, at a minimum. It's so easy to locate food-grade mineral oil, so why use something with extra ingredients?

Yea we call it baby oil in Aus, the chemist didn't know what mineral oil was.

So i just assumed it was the same as MI. Guess its too late as I coated the board with it.

Dav333 said:
Yea we call it baby oil in Aus, the chemist didn't know what mineral oil was.

So i just assumed it was the same as MI. Guess its too late as I coated the board with it.

The words are interchangeable, if the baby oil had nothing but mineral oil in it, unlikely as that is. If not, it may cause a smell, but it won't hurt the wood, and in time your next curing will erase the error. If you're worried, I suggest a vigorous scrub with mineral oil and salt, then another curing.

IcedEcliptic said:
I hear that LSC makes is being marketed by BP as an alternative to baby oil and food grade mineral oil... for otters. :)

:tongue2:...:cry:!

Evo said:
Dav, go to a pharmacy and look in the laxative section.

I jump down in the thread and I wondered for a few seconds after reading this if the topic had changed

Not sure what wood exactly, just found some Misc hardwood sitting on the shelf in my shed.

Very smooth with the grain. Finished sanding it with fine 800grit sand paper.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is mineral oil and why is it used on bread boards?

Mineral oil is a type of clear, odorless oil that is derived from petroleum. It is commonly used on bread boards as a protective coating to prevent the wood from drying out and cracking.

2. What are some alternatives to using mineral oil on bread boards?

Some alternatives to using mineral oil on bread boards include using food-grade oils such as coconut or olive oil, beeswax, or a mixture of beeswax and mineral oil. These options are also safe for food contact.

3. Is it necessary to use a coating on bread boards?

While it is not necessary to use a coating on bread boards, it can help extend the lifespan of the board by preventing it from drying out and cracking. It also helps to keep the board looking clean and well-maintained.

4. Are there any potential health risks associated with using mineral oil on bread boards?

There are no known health risks associated with using mineral oil on bread boards. However, it is important to use food-grade mineral oil and avoid using any oils that contain additives or fragrances.

5. How often should the coating be reapplied on bread boards?

The frequency of reapplying the coating on bread boards will depend on how often the board is used and cleaned. As a general guideline, it is recommended to reapply the coating every 3-4 months or as needed to maintain the board's appearance and prevent it from drying out.