Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alternative for Mineral Oil on Bread Boards

1. May 4, 2010 #1
    I have made some bread boards out of hard wood & heard to preserve them you coat with Mineral oil. I cant find any locally & was hoping there is something else i can use?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2010 #2
    Last edited: May 4, 2010
  4. May 4, 2010 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

You can usually find it at the drugstore. Ask the Pharmacist.

5. May 4, 2010 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Yes, drug stores carry food-grade mineral oil. The trim on our kitchen counters is raw cherry, and the surfaces are slate and limestone. We treat all those surfaces with food-grade mineral oil.

6. May 4, 2010 #5

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I agree with Evo- mineral oil is available at nearly every drugstore and grocery store in the US.

7. May 4, 2010 #6
    My local hardware store has "Butcher Block Oil" in the painting section. I've also seen it advertised as "salad bowl oil".

8. May 4, 2010 #7
    cool thanks for the replies

9. May 5, 2010 #8

jim mcnamara

10. May 5, 2010 #9
    Must be careful that those oils do not become rancid, mineral oil needs applicaiton, but is never rancid. I sometimes enjoy curing a butcher's block, or seasoning cast iron. It's a nice ritual, in a way.

11. May 5, 2010 #10

turbo

Gold Member

Food-grade mineral oil is the stuff to use. It comes in at least a couple of different "weights". We normally use the heavy stuff, apply it with a cotton cloth, and wipe off the excess after letting it sit a bit. For the first application on a new cutting board, it might be a good idea to use the lighter formulation to get better penetration, then use the heavy stuff for follow-up.

12. May 5, 2010 #11
    yeah, don't use corn oil (rancid)

13. May 5, 2010 #12

Evo

You might also be able to find mineral oil in a cookware store, but it will be needlessly overpriced.

14. May 5, 2010 #13
    I would think you would prefer EVOO. ;)

15. May 6, 2010 #14
    Found some, its also called baby oil.

16. May 6, 2010 #15

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that's correct. And it is also sometimes referred to as "light sweet crude oil." Which is the same stuff as "SAE 30," aka "Bar and Chain oil." Although it might be sold as "lamp oil" in your local craft store.

Just in case you didn't detect it...

NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Baby oil should not be used on a breadboard!

17. May 6, 2010 #16

Evo

Oh dear, baby oil contains mineral oil, but I'm not aware of any baby oil that contains nothing but pure food grade mineral oil. Where do you live?

18. May 6, 2010 #17
    I hear that LSC makes is being marketed by BP as an alternative to baby oil and food grade mineral oil... for otters. :)

19. May 6, 2010 #18

turbo

Gold Member

Most commercially-available baby oil contains fragrances, at a minimum. It's so easy to locate food-grade mineral oil, so why use something with extra ingredients?

20. May 6, 2010 #19

Evo

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  21. May 6, 2010 #20
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook