Alternative for Mineral Oil on Bread Boards

• Thread starter Dav333
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I have made some bread boards out of hard wood & heard to preserve them you coat with Mineral oil. I cant find any locally & was hoping there is something else i can use?

Answers and Replies

Evo
Mentor
I have made some bread boards out of hard wood & heard to preserve them you coat with Mineral oil. I cant find any locally & was hoping there is something else i can use?
You can usually find it at the drugstore. Ask the Pharmacist.

turbo
Gold Member
Yes, drug stores carry food-grade mineral oil. The trim on our kitchen counters is raw cherry, and the surfaces are slate and limestone. We treat all those surfaces with food-grade mineral oil.

Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I agree with Evo- mineral oil is available at nearly every drugstore and grocery store in the US.

My local hardware store has "Butcher Block Oil" in the painting section. I've also seen it advertised as "salad bowl oil".

cool thanks for the replies

Mineral oil does not dry, it stays on the surface of the wood, so you have to reapply it periodically -as Turbo noted.

Walnut oil is a drying oil. It will penetrate and then react with oxygen in the air over time to become permanently bound to the wood. There are a lot of other edible drying oils - safflower oil, poppy seed oil....

See
http://www.sanders-studios.com/instruction/tutorials/historyanddefinitions/dryingoils.html
Must be careful that those oils do not become rancid, mineral oil needs applicaiton, but is never rancid. I sometimes enjoy curing a butcher's block, or seasoning cast iron. It's a nice ritual, in a way.

turbo
Gold Member
Food-grade mineral oil is the stuff to use. It comes in at least a couple of different "weights". We normally use the heavy stuff, apply it with a cotton cloth, and wipe off the excess after letting it sit a bit. For the first application on a new cutting board, it might be a good idea to use the lighter formulation to get better penetration, then use the heavy stuff for follow-up.

Must be careful that those oils do not become rancid, mineral oil needs applicaiton, but is never rancid. I sometimes enjoy curing a butcher's block, or seasoning cast iron. It's a nice ritual, in a way.
yeah, don't use corn oil (rancid)

Evo
Mentor
You might also be able to find mineral oil in a cookware store, but it will be needlessly overpriced.

You might also be able to find mineral oil in a cookware store, but it will be needlessly overpriced.
I would think you would prefer EVOO. ;)

Found some, its also called baby oil.

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Yes, that's correct. And it is also sometimes referred to as "light sweet crude oil." Which is the same stuff as "SAE 30," aka "Bar and Chain oil." Although it might be sold as "lamp oil" in your local craft store.

Just in case you didn't detect it...

NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Baby oil should not be used on a breadboard!

Evo
Mentor
Oh dear, baby oil contains mineral oil, but I'm not aware of any baby oil that contains nothing but pure food grade mineral oil. Where do you live?

Oh dear, baby oil contains mineral oil, but I'm not aware of any baby oil that contains nothing but pure food grade mineral oil. Where do you live?
I hear that LSC makes is being marketed by BP as an alternative to baby oil and food grade mineral oil... for otters. :)

turbo
Gold Member
Most commercially-available baby oil contains fragrances, at a minimum. It's so easy to locate food-grade mineral oil, so why use something with extra ingredients?

Yea we call it baby oil in Aus, the chemist didn't know what mineral oil was.

So i just assumed it was the same as MI. Guess its too late as I coated the board with it.

Yea we call it baby oil in Aus, the chemist didn't know what mineral oil was.

So i just assumed it was the same as MI. Guess its too late as I coated the board with it.
The words are interchangeable, if the baby oil had nothing but mineral oil in it, unlikely as that is. If not, it may cause a smell, but it won't hurt the wood, and in time your next curing will erase the error. If you're worried, I suggest a vigorous scrub with mineral oil and salt, then another curing.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I hear that LSC makes is being marketed by BP as an alternative to baby oil and food grade mineral oil... for otters. :)
:tongue2:...:cry:!