Alternative for sphere volume:FAIL

• Thread starter Sulfur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sphere
In summary, the conversation discusses a proposed alternative formula for the volume of a sphere and the reason why it does not work. It is suggested that learning integral calculus would be helpful in understanding this concept. The conversation also mentions online resources for learning calculus.
Sulfur
My brother thought of an alternative formula for the volume of a sphere:
(1/2)(∏R2)(2∏R).
it didn't work

could anyone tell me why?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
So it seems to be (area of circle) * (circumference) * (1/2). It's less a question of why it doesn't work, than why your brother thought it would work. Maybe if you posted the derivation, we could point out the problem with it.

the idea is that if a circle was turned around 180 degrees on a line through the middle of it, and if every frame of its rotation was kept there, it would make a sphere. The circumference is the distance the edge of the circle has to travel 360 degrees.
hmm... maybe the problem is that different parts of the circle have to travel different lengths to go 360 degrees around. :rolleyes:
Do you think if the problem was solved, I could derive another formula that is correct?
http://imageshack.us/a/img43/9046/circle1.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img839/5682/circle2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
This is pretty much integral calculus, summing an infinite number of infinitely small areas. You should learn it, it's really useful.

OK
could you give me an integral calculus tutorial? :smile:

Sulfur said:
OK
could you give me an integral calculus tutorial? :smile:

To get an idea and basic concepts, try Khan Academy. If you wan to learn the "standard" way, any university calc textbook will do. I'm not sure about online ones, but try Paul's Online Maths Notes
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/sitemap.aspx

PS Presuming you've learned differentiation already.

i haven't :(

Sulfur said:
i haven't :(

Then you should, so you can learn understanding instead of just memorising integrals.

Note that if you slowly rotate a circle (in the manner of your pictures), the parts near the edge move farther than the parts near the middle. So every little rotation sweeps out volumes that are greater the farther away from the axis they are. For situations like that, you need calculus (or a smart Greek).

edit: I now noticed that you caught your mistake. well done.

Last edited:

What is an alternative method for calculating the volume of a sphere?

One alternative method for calculating the volume of a sphere is using the formula V = (4/3)πr^3, where r is the radius of the sphere.

Why might the traditional formula for sphere volume fail?

The traditional formula for sphere volume, V = (4/3)πr^3, may fail if the sphere is not a perfect shape or if there are irregularities in its surface.

Is there a more accurate method for calculating the volume of a sphere?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as using calculus or advanced geometric formulas that may provide a more accurate calculation of the volume of a sphere.

Are there any limitations to using alternative methods for sphere volume?

Like any mathematical formula, alternative methods for calculating sphere volume may have their own set of limitations, such as being more complex and time-consuming to use.

How can I determine which method is best for calculating the volume of a sphere?

The best method for calculating the volume of a sphere may depend on the specific circumstances and requirements of your calculation. It may be helpful to consult with a mathematician or do some research to determine the most appropriate method for your needs.