Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alternative Proof to show any integer multiplied with 0 is 0

1. Jan 31, 2014 #1
    In his book, Spivak did the proof by using the distributive property of integer. I am wondering if this, I think, simpler proof will also work. I want to show that ##a \cdot 0 = 0## for all ##a## using only the very basic property (no negative multiplication yet).

For all ##a \in \mathbb{Z}##, ##a+0=a##.

We just multiply ##a## again to get ##a^2+(a \cdot 0) = a^2##. Then it follows ##a \cdot 0 = 0##. (I remove ##a^2## by adding the additive inverse of it on both side)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2014 #2

jgens

Gold Member

That is essentially the same proof as the one given in Spivak. I have no idea what simplification you think it affords.

4. Feb 1, 2014 #3
    I'm glad then that it's the same. Because I thought it's fallacious because I haven't showed if the integers are closed with multiplication, and Spivak's proof is the more appropriate one.

5. Feb 1, 2014 #4

jgens

Gold Member

Closure is not necessary in this argument.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted