Alternative ways to show that cos(ix)=cosh(x)?

• Thread starter Nathanael
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a solution for cos(ix) = cosh(x) in an exercise from a calculus book. Various methods are suggested, including using the relation e^{i\theta} = \cos \theta + i\sin \theta and the definition of hyperbolic functions in terms of the exponential function. The preferred method is to use the definition of cosh(x) and substitute θ=ix and θ=-ix, then add. This solution highlights the connection between hyperbolic and trigonometric functions and is often used in solving ODEs.
Nathanael
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

[/B]
There is an exercise which says "Show that cos(ix)=cosh(x)"

2. The attempt at a solution

The only thing I can think of is that cos(ix) is a solution to y''=y with initial conditions y(0)=1 and y'(0)=0 therefore cos(ix)=cosh(x)

There's no solution given, but it is from a chapter on complex numbers from a calculus book, so I don't think knowledge of differential equations is expected, so I doubt this is the solution they were going for.

Does anyone have another method? Perhaps you can some how use [itex]e^{i\theta}= \cos \theta+i \sin \theta[/itex] ? I can't think of a way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nathanael said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
There is an exercise which says "Show that cos(ix)=cosh(x)"

2. The attempt at a solution

The only thing I can think of is that cos(ix) is a solution to y''=y with initial conditions y(0)=1 and y'(0)=0 therefore cos(ix)=cosh(x)

There's no solution given, but it is from a chapter on complex numbers from a calculus book, so I don't think knowledge of differential equations is expected, so I doubt this is the solution they were going for.

Does anyone have another method? Perhaps you can some how use [itex]e^{i\theta}= \cos \theta+i \sin \theta[/itex] ? I can't think of a way.

Hint: Use the definition of the hyperbolic functions sinh(x) and cosh(x) in terms of the exponential function. Then use x = iy and Euler's formula to establish the connection between the hyperbolic functions and the trig functions. It's basically an exercise in algebra and identities.

Likes Nathanael
Nathanael said:
Perhaps you can some how use [itex]e^{i\theta}= \cos \theta+i \sin \theta[/itex] ? I can't think of a way.
Yes you can use that. And I can think of a way (what is ##e^{-i\theta}## ? So what is ##\cos \theta## ? So what is ##\cos {ix}## ?)

But that's exactly SteamKing's hint, so I bow to his majesty ;)

Likes Nathanael
[itex]\cosh(x)=\frac{1}{2}(e^{x}+e^{-x})=\frac{1}{2}(e^{-i(ix)}+e^{i(ix)})=\frac{1}{2}(\cos (-ix) + i\sin (-ix) + \cos(ix) + i\sin (ix))=\cos(ix)[/itex]

Thanks guys, I think that is the solution the author was expecting. I still prefer the y''=y method but this method is also fairly straightforward.

Did you guys already know that cos(ix)=cosh(x)? It might not be very useful (the chapter didn't even mention it) but I think it's quite interesting!

Nathanael said:
[itex]\cosh(x)=\frac{1}{2}(e^{x}+e^{-x})=\frac{1}{2}(e^{-i(ix)}+e^{i(ix)})=\frac{1}{2}(\cos (-ix) + i\sin (-ix) + \cos(ix) + i\sin (ix))=\cos(ix)[/itex]

Thanks guys, I think that is the solution the author was expecting. I still prefer the y''=y method but this method is also fairly straightforward.

It's like you said in an earlier post: you've got to know how to solve ODEs for this to happen.

Did you guys already know that cos(ix)=cosh(x)? It might not be very useful (the chapter didn't even mention it) but I think it's quite interesting!
Yep. It's one of those surprising side effects of Euler's formula.

The link between hyperbolic functions and trig functions is well known and comes in handy at times.

This link should come up in any well-written article on trig functions, however, which is why it often pays to do a little digging on the internet.

Nathanael said:
[itex]e^{i\theta}= \cos \theta+i \sin \theta[/itex] ? I can't think of a way.
Just substitute θ=ix. Then substitute θ=-ix. Then add.

Chet

A useful reading http://www.webassign.net/zillengmath4/17.7.pdf

Likes Nathanael

1. What is the difference between cos(ix) and cosh(x)?

The main difference between the two is that cos(ix) is a function of a complex variable, while cosh(x) is a function of a real variable. This means that cos(ix) can take on complex values, while cosh(x) can only take on real values.

2. How can I prove that cos(ix) is equal to cosh(x)?

One way to prove this is by using Euler's formula, which states that e^(ix) = cos(x) + isin(x). By substituting -ix for x, we get e^(-ix) = cos(-ix) + isin(-ix). Since cos(-x) = cos(x) and sin(-x) = -sin(x), we can rewrite this as e^(-ix) = cos(x) - isin(x). Using the fact that cosh(x) = (e^x + e^(-x))/2, we can see that cosh(x) = (e^ix + e^(-ix))/2. Substituting our previous expression for e^(-ix), we get cosh(x) = (cos(x) - isin(x) + cos(x) + isin(x))/2 = cos(x).

3. Can we use trigonometric identities to show that cos(ix) = cosh(x)?

Yes, we can use the double angle identity for cosine, which states that cos(2x) = 2cos^2(x) - 1. By substituting ix for x, we get cos(2ix) = 2cos^2(ix) - 1. Using the Pythagorean identity cos^2(x) + sin^2(x) = 1, we can rewrite this as cos(2ix) = 2(1 - sin^2(ix)) - 1 = 2 - 2sin^2(ix) - 1 = 1 - 2sin^2(ix). Since sin(ix) is a purely imaginary number, its square is a negative real number. Therefore, we can rewrite this as cos(2ix) = 1 - 2a^2 where a is a real number. By substituting this into our original equation, we get cos(ix) = cosh(x).

4. Are there any visual representations of this identity?

Yes, there are a few ways to visually represent this identity. One way is to use a complex plane, where points on the x-axis represent real numbers and points on the y-axis represent imaginary numbers. The point (x, 0) on the x-axis would represent cos(x), while the point (0, x) on the y-axis would represent sin(x). Similarly, the point (ix, 0) on the x-axis would represent cos(ix), while the point (0, ix) on the y-axis would represent sin(ix). By comparing the positions of these points, we can see that cos(ix) = cosh(x) = cos(x).

5. Why is this identity important in mathematics?

This identity is important because it allows us to extend the trigonometric functions to complex numbers. This is useful in many areas of mathematics, such as complex analysis, differential equations, and Fourier analysis. It also has applications in physics and engineering. Additionally, this identity helps us understand the relationship between real and complex numbers, and how they can be represented geometrically.