Am I able to get Autodesk CAD for free?

I'm a high school student and I'm interested in getting Autodesk CAD and sort of playing around with it and teaching myself how to use it. I used it during a quarter long class in 8th grade, which was three years ago, and really enjoyed it. I'm also looking into engineering as a career. I know that educators and students can download CAD for free. If I'm using it on my personal computer and in my free time, does that count as using it as a student and allow me to download it for free, or do I need to pay for it in that case?

Answers and Replies

mathman
Science Advisor
You appear to be a student, try getting it and see what happens.

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm a high school student and I'm interested in getting Autodesk CAD and sort of playing around with it and teaching myself how to use it. I used it during a quarter long class in 8th grade, which was three years ago, and really enjoyed it. I'm also looking into engineering as a career. I know that educators and students can download CAD for free. If I'm using it on my personal computer and in my free time, does that count as using it as a student and allow me to download it for free, or do I need to pay for it in that case?
The eligibility requirements for free software from Autodesk are listed here:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/cust...account-access/education-program/who-can-join

You should check that your school meets these requirements as do you personally.

Likes berkeman
ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
Wow, I never associated Autodesk with CAD before....oh my ignorance :smile:

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Wow, I never associated Autodesk with CAD before....oh my ignorance :smile:
Man, that's like saying you just found out Bill Gates dabbled with computers when he was younger. :wink:

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
He did? (kidding! :angel:)

But, really, I don't think it's THAT drastically disgraceful...I'm familiar with Autodesk based on this:
https://www.sketchbook.com/?locale=en
For years, Autodesk's only product was AutoCAD, then they started expanding their offerings not only in the CAD field, but also design, manufacturing, and visual presentation. AutoCAD was one of those programs which pushed the envelope of early PCs in terms of the resources needed to support it. For many years, AutoCAD was distributed on 10 floppy disks, and it took a while to install and get working properly.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Google Sketchup 8, free and a billion times easier to learn and use