Am I competitive enough for medical physics acceptance?

In summary, the speaker is a senior at the University of Michigan studying nuclear engineering with a focus on health physics. They plan to pursue a master's degree in medical physics at a CAMPEP accredited school, but are concerned about their GPA of 3.2. They have relevant coursework and research experience in the field, and a well-known professor who has offered to write a letter of recommendation. The speaker is unsure of their chances of getting into a competitive program, but believes their research experience and strong reference letter may improve their odds.
skmpjimmy44
I am heading into my senior year at the University of Michigan studying nuclear engineering with a focus on health physics. I would like to go to grad school to pursue a master in medical physics at a CAMPEP accredited school. My GPA is a tad low, so I am afraid that I won't even have a shot at getting in. My info is posted below.
GPA: 3.2
GRE: 159 verbal 163 Quant
Relevant Courses: EM, quantum, modern physics and lab, waves and light(Physics minor), two semesters of bio and chem, electrical circuits, and two grad level courses in radiation biology.

Im currently working under one of my professors in the radiation health physics lab designing radiation detectors. She would be willing to write me a great letter of rec. Shes relatively famous in her field and was at one time the director of the health physics society and a medical physics program. Thats my only solid reference.

What are my odds of getting in at a decent program? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure anyone can give you a quantitative answer on something like this. You probably already know that most medical physics programs are quite competitive. In our program, the students who are offered admission usually have a GPA of about 3.5 or greater and some research experience.

That said, it's not unreasonable for you to get into a good program somewhere. Your research experience and a decent reference letter from someone well-known in the field will definitely help. Having done well in graduate radiobiology classes will also help. And programs will calculate the GPA in different ways too. Upward trends and high marks in challenging classes will also help in this respect.

Likes berkeman

1. Am I expected to have a specific undergraduate degree to be competitive for medical physics acceptance?

While having a degree in physics or a related field can be beneficial, it is not always required for acceptance into a medical physics program. Many programs also consider applicants with degrees in engineering, mathematics, or biology. It is important to research the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in to determine the best fit for your background.

2. What is the average GPA and GRE scores for accepted medical physics applicants?

The average GPA and GRE scores can vary greatly among medical physics programs. However, most programs look for applicants with a minimum GPA of 3.0 and competitive GRE scores in the 50th percentile or higher. Keep in mind that these are just general guidelines and may vary depending on the specific program.

3. Are research experience and publications necessary for acceptance into a medical physics program?

Research experience and publications can certainly enhance your application and make you a more competitive candidate for medical physics programs. However, they are not always necessary for acceptance. Many programs also value work experience and strong letters of recommendation from professionals in the field.

4. What can I do to make my application stand out to medical physics programs?

Aside from having a strong academic background, there are several things you can do to make your application stand out. This includes gaining relevant work or research experience, participating in extracurricular activities related to medical physics, and having strong letters of recommendation. Additionally, it can be beneficial to highlight any unique skills or experiences you have that set you apart from other applicants.

5. Can I apply to multiple medical physics programs at the same time?

Yes, you can apply to multiple medical physics programs at the same time. It is important to carefully research each program and make sure you meet their specific requirements before applying. Additionally, make sure to carefully consider the location, curriculum, and other factors to ensure you are applying to programs that align with your goals and interests.