Am I doing this series right? (arithmetic question but calc)

• Thread starter Rijad Hadzic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, The LaTeX tags in this question are used to display mathematics symbols. For a beginner like yourself, it may be difficult to understand what they are doing.
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

I have series

[itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty (1/n)(2^n)(-1/2)^n [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So trying to do the solution

[itex] (1/n)(2^n)(-\frac {1^n}{2^n}) [/itex]

since 1^n is going to be one for all values of n, can I say,

[itex] (1/n)(2^n)(-\frac {1}{2^n}) [/itex]

then

[itex] (1/n)(\frac{2^n}{-2^n}) [/itex]

then that gives me
[itex] (1/n)(-1) [/itex]

and I know 1/n is divergent, but this answer is wrong? The reason I think its wrong is because I can't consider 1^n as just one, correct? But even if I do still consider [itex] 1^n [/itex] as [itex] 1^n [/itex] instead of just [itex] 1 [/itex], my answer is [itex] (1/n)(-1)(1^n) [/itex] which is different from [itex] (1/n)(-1^n) [/itex]

If I go

[itex] (1/n)(\frac{2^n}{-2^n}) (1^n) [/itex]

I get

[itex] (1/n)(-1)(1^n)[/itex]

But this is still divergent.

If I go from

[itex] (1/n)(\frac{2^n}{2^n}) (-1^n) [/itex]

I get [itex] (1/n)(1)(-1^n) [/itex]

which is convergent according to the alternating series test which is the answer.

I just don't understand when I have

[itex] (1/n)(\frac{2^n}{-2^n}) (1^n) [/itex]

how I don't get the same answer, because I get

[itex] (1/n)(-1) (1^n) [/itex]

which is different from

[itex] (1/n)(-1^n) [/itex]

why would it matter if you take the negative sign with the denominator or the numerator?

Physics news on Phys.org
Or if I'm here

[itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty (1/n)(2^n)(\frac {-1}{2})^n [/itex]

then go

[itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty (1/n)(2^n)(\frac {-1^n}{2^n})[/itex]

and multiply straight out

[itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty (1/n)(\frac {(2^n)(-1^n)}{2^n}) [/itex]

I get [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty (1/n)(-1)^n [/itex] which is convergent.

I just don't understand why I can't go from [itex] (1/2)^n [/itex] to [itex] (1^n) * (1/2^n) [/itex]

for example, if I go from

[itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty (1/n)(\frac {(2^n)(1^n)}{-2^n}) [/itex]

to

[itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty (1/n)(-(1^n)) [/itex]

I get a completely different answer.

One alternates from negative to positive, the other is negative all the time...
How am I suppose to know if the negative is on the bottom or top??

Rijad Hadzic said:

Homework Statement

I have series

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So trying to do the solution

[itex] (1/n)(2^n)(-\frac {1^n}{2^n}) [/itex]

since 1^n is going to be one for all values of n, can I say,

[itex] (1/n)(2^n)(-\frac {1}{2^n}) [/itex]

then

[itex] (1/n)(\frac{2^n}{-2^n}) [/itex]

then that gives me
[itex] (1/n)(-1) [/itex]

and I know 1/n is divergent...
why would it matter if you take the negative sign with the denominator or the numerator?
Your problem comes from assuming that ## \frac {2^n} {-2^n} ## will cancel out to be -1 for all values of n.
When n is even, the denominator is positive, so you have 1, and when n is odd you do get -1, so it alternates between 1 and -1.

scottdave said:
Your problem comes from assuming that ## \frac {2^n} {-2^n} ## will cancel out to be -1 for all values of n.
When n is even, the denominator is positive, so you have 1, and when n is odd you do get -1, so it alternates between 1 and -1.

Thanks a lot bro. That makes so much sense.

Just take care to watch the parentheses.

Rijad Hadzic said:

Homework Statement

I have series

You're making this harder than it needs to be. ##2^n(-1/2)^2 = 2^n(1/2)^n(-1)^n = (-1)^n##.
I'm using the fact that ##(ab)^n = a^n b^n## to write ##(-1/2)^2## as ##(-1)^n## times ##(1/2)^n##.

Could someone please explain me what is this [itex] written almost every where in this question, because of that I am unable to understand the question

jishnu said:
Could someone please explain me what is this [itex] written almost every where in this question, because of that I am unable to understand the question
These are LaTeX tags. Under ordinary circumstances, you shouldn't be seeing them, as the browser uses them to display mathematics symbols.

See our LaTeX tutorial here -- https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

Mark44 said:
These are LaTeX tags. Under ordinary circumstances, you shouldn't be seeing them, as the browser uses them to display mathematics symbols.

See our LaTeX tutorial here -- https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/
Thanks for the assistance, this seems a bit complicated for a beginner like me but hoping to cop up with new language (for me) soon... :)

1. How do I know if I am using the correct formula for this series?

The first step in determining if you are using the correct formula for a series is to understand the type of series you are dealing with. Is it an arithmetic series or a geometric series? Once you have identified the type, you can then use the appropriate formula to calculate the terms in the series. It is important to carefully read the problem and identify any given information, such as the first term or common ratio, to ensure you are using the correct formula.

2. What if I am not getting the same answer as the example in my textbook?

If you are not getting the same answer as the example in your textbook, it could be due to a few reasons. First, check to make sure you are using the same formula and plugging in the correct values. It is also possible that there is a mistake in the example or in your calculations. Double-check your work and if you are still getting a different answer, ask a classmate or your teacher for help.

3. What is the difference between an arithmetic series and a geometric series?

An arithmetic series is a series where each term is found by adding a constant value to the previous term, while a geometric series is a series where each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant value. In an arithmetic series, the difference between consecutive terms remains constant, while in a geometric series, the ratio between consecutive terms remains constant.

4. How do I find the sum of a series?

To find the sum of a series, you can use the formula for the sum of a finite arithmetic or geometric series. If the series is infinite, you can use the formula for the sum of an infinite geometric series, but this requires the common ratio to be less than 1. If the series is neither arithmetic nor geometric, you may need to use other methods such as partial sums or telescoping series to find the sum.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve series problems?

The use of a calculator can be helpful in solving series problems, especially for larger series. However, it is important to understand the concepts and formulas behind the calculations and not rely solely on a calculator. Additionally, make sure you are using the correct mode and entering the correct values to avoid any errors in your calculations.