Am I moving, or is space moving?

• Thread starter iDimension
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, on cosmological scales, the concept of motion can be tricky. Galaxies may appear to be moving away from each other, but this is due to the expansion of space rather than actual motion. The interpretation of this phenomenon depends on the choice of coordinates used.
iDimension
I need some help with this because I'm not sure which is true. Two distant stationary objects in the universe will be moving away from each other despite the fact that they're stationary, this is because space itself "moves" or expands correct?

So in this case space is moving, not the galaxies?

Space news on Phys.org
The galaxies are moving, as you say with respect to each other.

When you say they are stationary, this means each is stationary with respect to its local environnent, and with respect to the universe as a whole : the universe looks as symmetric from either viewpoint.

Say we are in galaxy A looking at distant galaxy B. B is surrounded by other nearby galaxies B1 B2 etc... On average, from our perspective, B, B1, B2 share the same motion relative to us.
Which is the same as saying that from B's perspective, the group B1, B2,... has zero overall motion, or that B is stationary with respect to that group.
Actually, to better accuracy B will see itself at the center of a symmetrical universe and it is stationary with respect to that.

The "dots on an expanding balloon" image says it all better : look at the motion of the dots, forgetting the balloon. This is exactly how it works. Each dot moves away from other dots, and each is stationary with respect to the center of the group of surrounding dots.

http://www.phinds.com/balloonanalogy/

Last edited:
iDimension said:
So in this case space is moving, not the galaxies?
I think you fail to realize that "moving" is a very tricky subject on cosmological scales. Galaxies far apart are RECEDING from each other but "moving" is not quite correct. It's a hard concept but space isn't moving and galaxies aren't moving, but galaxies are getting farther apart. "Moving" is more of a local phenomenon. Google "metric expansion" and as the rabbit suggested, read the link in my signature.

Sure but with the balloons and dots analogy, the balloon (space) is expanding, the dots are not moving... their location is fixed? Like the galaxies in space are not moving, the space is expanding.

iDimension said:
Sure but with the balloons and dots analogy, the balloon (space) is expanding, the dots are not moving... their location is fixed? Like the galaxies in space are not moving, the space is expanding.
I take it you have not read the link.

iDimension said:
in this case space is moving, not the galaxies?

This is a matter of interpretation and choice of coordinates. "Motion" is not an absolute concept. Relative to the standard coordinates used in cosmology, the galaxies are not moving; the scale factor in the metric is changing with time. Sometimes this is described as "space expanding".

However, we could also choose coordinates centered on us in which distant galaxies are moving away from us, and space is not changing at all. So the question you are asking doesn't have a unique answer.

1. What is the difference between moving and space moving?

Moving refers to the motion of an object from one location to another, while space moving refers to the expansion of the universe itself.

2. How do we determine if we are moving or if space is moving?

We can determine if we are moving by observing our surroundings and measuring our own motion. To determine if space is moving, scientists use various techniques such as measuring the redshift of galaxies or observing the cosmic microwave background radiation.

3. Can both myself and space be moving at the same time?

Yes, it is possible for both an object and space to be moving at the same time. For example, a person can be walking while the Earth is rotating and orbiting around the sun.

4. How does the theory of relativity explain the concept of moving or space moving?

The theory of relativity explains that motion is relative and depends on the observer's frame of reference. This means that there is no absolute frame of reference to determine if an object is moving or if space is moving. Instead, it is the relative motion between two objects or frames of reference that is important.

5. Is there a limit to how fast space can move?

According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object or information can travel through space. Therefore, there is a limit to how fast space itself can move, and it cannot exceed the speed of light.