Am I on the right track to engineering?

In summary: I also plan on taking AP Calculus BC this semester and will retake Algebra 1 if needed.In summary, the freshman student from Arcadia, California has an interest in engineering and has little to no experience. The student plans to work his way into top engineering schools and has questions about how his HS grade transcript will be viewed.
robotseatcookie
Hello everybody, 1st post (please don't bite :P)

I am a freshman student from Arcadia, California (near Pasadena) and I have an interest in engineering, and hopefully I will major in either biomedical, computer, electrical, industrial, or mechanical engineering. I understand that I have little to no experience and have a lot to learn but I would like to get help and knowledge from those who are, simply put, better than me.

My goal is to make entry into one of the top engineering schools in the nation (Harvey Mudd, CalTech, MIT, Berkeley, etc.).

I am self studying AP Biology, Psychology, and Chinese and am taking Algebra 2 Honors (completed Geometry and Algebra 1 in middle school) in my current year. Unfortunately I had a difficult teacher and I currently have a middle C. By the end of the semester I can probably work my way up to a high B. Will this B kill me later in life or when applying to college? I understand the biggest principle behind all engineering is math, but I am working more to hopefully turn this C around and ensure an A in the next semester and future years.

Over the next 3 years, I plan to work my way into Physics Team, Math Team, Solar Cup, and be an officer in Robotics Club. I also plan to take Advanced Placement courses in Calculus BC, Statistics, Human Geography, Chemistry, Physics C, Environmental Science, English Langauge and Literature, Computer Science, and MAYBE Studio Art and Music Theory. I will be a part of Concert Band for 4 years.

My biggest 2 questions for creating this thread are how badly getting a B in Algebra 2 will affect me, and what extracurriculars I should do, specifically for summers and internship/volunteer. I am also curious as to what other forum members pursuing engineering did as well.

Any input or feedback would be appreciated, and thanks in advance to all replies I receive.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't say how the colleges you hope to apply to will view your HS grade transcript, but if you don't test well in the SATs or the ACTs, it probably won't matter anyway. Colleges use these tests as a guide to see which incoming students will do well in a college environment.

Since you are currently a HS freshman, you may want to plan on taking the PSAT/NMSQT test before taking the SAT. Students who do well on the PSAT qualify for National Merit scholarships, while taking the test will give you experience in what types of questions are asked on the regular SATs:

https://www.collegeboard.org/psat-nmsqt

If your HS has an academic or guidance counselor, perhaps you should talk with them to find out more about these tests.

Space is limited in some of these colleges, so it is important that you do well in your academics. You're competing against kids from all over the country, and some international students, to be offered admittance.

I actually have taken the PSAT and some model SATs (best score ~1960, unofficial). My PSAT result will come in later weeks.

Well it turns out I have a 74 in Algebra 2 Honors. I am determined to work my 455 off and get a B or a B+ by the end of the semester, but how detrimental is a B in math?

Hello there,

It's great to see your enthusiasm and interest in engineering. Based on your post, it seems like you are definitely on the right track towards pursuing a career in engineering. It's important to note that engineering is a broad field and it's great that you are exploring different areas such as biomedical, computer, electrical, industrial, and mechanical engineering. This will give you a better understanding of which specific area you are most interested in.

As for your current academic standing, having a B in Algebra 2 will not negatively impact your future in engineering. It's important to continue working hard and improving your grades, but one B will not determine your success in the field. Just make sure to focus on mastering the fundamentals of math as it is a crucial aspect of engineering.

Your plan to join extracurricular activities such as Physics Team, Math Team, Solar Cup, and Robotics Club is great. These activities will not only help you develop practical skills, but also show your passion and dedication for engineering. For summers and internships, it's great to gain experience in engineering-related fields through internships, volunteer work, or even research opportunities. This will not only strengthen your resume, but also give you a better understanding of what it's like to work in the field.

In terms of what other forum members pursuing engineering did, it varies from person to person. Some may have focused more on academic achievements, while others may have pursued different extracurricular activities. It's important to find a balance and do what you are passionate about.

Overall, it seems like you are on the right track towards engineering. Keep working hard, exploring different areas, and gaining experience. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors!

1. What steps should I take to become an engineer?

To become an engineer, you should first focus on excelling in math and science courses in high school. Then, you can pursue a bachelor's degree in engineering from an accredited university. It is also recommended to gain hands-on experience through internships or co-op programs. After earning your degree, you may need to pass a licensure exam to become a professional engineer.

2. Is it necessary to choose a specific engineering field?

As a scientist, I would advise you to choose a specific engineering field that interests you the most. This will allow you to focus your studies and gain specialized knowledge and skills. However, it is also possible to work in a broader field or change your specialty later in your career.

3. How important are extracurricular activities for a career in engineering?

Participating in extracurricular activities, such as clubs, competitions, and volunteer work, can greatly enhance your engineering skills and make you stand out to potential employers. These activities can also help you develop important soft skills, such as teamwork and communication, which are essential for success in the engineering field.

4. What are the job prospects for engineers?

The job outlook for engineers is generally positive, with a projected job growth of 4% from 2019-2029 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. However, the job market for specific engineering fields may vary. It is important to research the current demand and trends in your chosen field to make informed career decisions.

5. How can I stay updated on advancements and developments in the engineering field?

As a scientist, I would recommend staying updated by reading industry publications, attending conferences and workshops, and networking with other engineers. It is also important to continuously learn new skills and technologies to stay competitive in the job market.