Am I the only one into this power melodic metal Australian band?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Band Metal Power
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
14 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
4,662
Reaction score
372
Ilium:


What a band!

Ausi ausi!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
Physics news on Phys.org
Deep Purple vibe... too busy for my tastes, but nice articulation on the guitar.
 
Guitars sound good, but the clean singing has to go.
 
BWV said:
Guitars sound good, but the clean singing has to go.
Ah I like the clean singing, you can actually understand what the singer sings... :oldbiggrin:
 
Yeah; I was all geared up for "Ya aaa ;agYSFSSE ;RUWEIGIDDSAHSCZCXVCV" and then ... Oh, Ian Gillen(sp?) moved to Oz.
 
hmmm27 said:
Yeah; I was all geared up for "Ya aaa ;agYSFSSE ;RUWEIGIDDSAHSCZCXVCV" and then ... Oh, Ian Gillen(sp?) moved to Oz.
Ian Gillan or Ray Gillen? I got more Ronnie James Dio or maybe Rob Halford but yes, basically anyone that did vocals for Black Sabbath.

Guitars very Scorpions/MSG/UFO: @fresh_42 is this the reason for your like?

Drummer let's them down, there's more to blast beat than cranking the tempo knob to max on the kick-drum.
 
pbuk said:
Ian Gillan or Ray Gillen? I got more Ronnie James Dio or maybe Rob Halford but yes, basically anyone that did vocals for Black Sabbath.

Guitars very Scorpions/MSG/UFO: @fresh_42 is this the reason for your like?

Drummer let's them down, there's more to blast beat than cranking the tempo knob to max on the kick-drum.
The reason for my like is, that I like metal with a tune you can call melody. They aren't a band I would consider to become one of my favorites, but I wanted to signal the OP that there are indeed people who like that kind of music, too.

And no, I do not like the scorpions at all. That is neither metal, nor can Meine sing at all. He sounds like a nasal tin can. Probably the closest they come to metal. I try to achieve a reaction time under half a second for changing radio and tv stations whenever I hear or see Meine.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: pbuk
Well that serves me right for thinking in national stereotypes.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
pbuk said:
Well that serves me right for thinking in national stereotypes.
I liked Lemmy.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: The Fez
hmmm27 said:
Deep Purple vibe... too busy for my tastes, but nice articulation on the guitar.
Deep Purple were the greatest bunch of players ever. 1969-73 with Gillan and Glover. No contest.
 
pinball1970 said:
Deep Purple were the greatest bunch of players ever. 1969-73 with Gillan and Glover. No contest.
I do like the Battle Rages on:


Also their latest album I have it, interesting; but I don't like the mellow songs.
 
MathematicalPhysicist said:
I do like the Battle Rages on:


Also their latest album I have it, interesting; but I don't like the mellow songs.

I am not sure about the “unreleased BBC tapes part” but when I listened to this first time I was blown away.

This is 5 musicians enjoying playing, talent to burn, chemistry – no one could touch them.

From a drummer point of view some of the things he does are fantastic, very difficult especially the bass drum on Mandrake Root and Space Truckin’

1621252906400.png


The reunion in the 80s had a different sound and I did not like it much (or much 1980s stuff) so I switched off on later Albums
The Celestial Sphere sounds more like Iron Maiden to me
 
pinball1970 said:
I am not sure about the “unreleased BBC tapes part” but when I listened to this first time I was blown away.

This is 5 musicians enjoying playing, talent to burn, chemistry – no one could touch them.

From a drummer point of view some of the things he does are fantastic, very difficult especially the bass drum on Mandrake Root and Space Truckin’

View attachment 283164

The reunion in the 80s had a different sound and I did not like it much (or much 1980s stuff) so I switched off on later Albums
The Celestial Sphere sounds more like Iron Maiden to me
For me the Celestial Sphere of Ilium sounds like no other tune I have heard.
Jason Hodges from Ilium deserves more recognition; terrific sound.
And the lyrics, oh man...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970
MathematicalPhysicist said:
For me the Celestial Sphere of Ilium sounds like no other tune I have heard.
Jason Hodges from Ilium deserves more recognition; terrific sound.
And the lyrics, oh man...
I will listen to more!