Amateur Particle Physics Experiments/Demonstrations

In summary, the conversation discussed different ideas for creating simple and cheap devices to exhibit particle physics, with a focus on using a cloud chamber. The use of exempt radioisotope sources and potential experiments using gamma sources and GM counters were also mentioned. Suggestions were made for websites and e-stores to purchase supplies, particularly in Canada. The conversation also touched on the difference between nuclear physics and particle physics, as well as the availability of microcurie sources and short-lived daughter isotopes for experimentation.
redherring
Hello, I am a amateur-level person living in Canada with an interest in physics, especially particle physics. I have recently been wondering how possible it would be to create some simple/cheap devices to exhibit particle physics. I thought a cloud chamber would be the most feasible idea and quickly found this youtube video:

This seems great and i would love to do this myself if i can get an exempt radioisotope source as cheaply as they did.

Does anyone else out there have other ideas of experiments i could perform along these lines (it really doesn't have to be nuclear decay, i am interested in anything i can perform with what a citizen has access to and is reasonably cheap)?

Also, can anyone out there suggest some great websites/e-stores where i can purchase different supplies related to the types of experiments i would be interested in, especially Canadian ones (to reduce shipping costs)?

Thanks to all who read this post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, Canada is the largest supplier of radioisotopes.

A small piece of a thorium lantern mantle makes a decent radioactive source. Or you could pick up some orange Fiestaware porcelain at a flea market if you can find it.

Sounds like you're really talking about nuclear physics, not particle physics...?

Cloud chambers can be used to detect cosmic rays, but you'd probably still want an artificial source for testing.

With a gamma source and a GM counter, you could try measuring Compton scattering at different angles.

Microcurie sources are easy to obtain by mail: http://sargentwelch.com/calibrated-radioactive-sources-calibrated-radioactive-source/p/IG0039282/

If you want to play with something with a short half-life, you can get sources that separate out a short-lived daughter isotope by elution: http://store.pasco.com/pascostore/showdetl.cfm?&DID=9&Product_ID=50475&Detail=1

1. What is amateur particle physics?

Amateur particle physics refers to scientific experiments or demonstrations conducted by non-professional scientists, often using homemade or low-cost equipment. These experiments aim to explore and understand the fundamental particles and interactions that make up the universe.

2. Is it possible for amateurs to conduct particle physics experiments?

Yes, it is possible for amateurs to conduct particle physics experiments. While some experiments may require expensive equipment and specialized knowledge, there are many experiments and demonstrations that can be done using simple materials and basic scientific principles.

3. What are some examples of amateur particle physics experiments or demonstrations?

Some examples of amateur particle physics experiments or demonstrations include building a cloud chamber to observe particle tracks, creating a spark chamber to detect cosmic rays, and conducting a bubble chamber experiment to study particle interactions. These experiments can be done using household items and basic scientific equipment.

4. Are there any risks associated with amateur particle physics experiments?

As with any scientific experiment, there are potential risks involved in conducting amateur particle physics experiments. These risks can include exposure to radiation, electric shock, or chemical hazards. It is important for amateurs to educate themselves on proper safety protocols and to always follow safety guidelines when conducting experiments.

5. How can I get involved in amateur particle physics?

There are many online resources and communities dedicated to amateur particle physics where individuals can find information, tutorials, and support for conducting their own experiments. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of physics and to seek guidance from experienced amateurs or professional scientists. Additionally, participating in science fairs or joining a local science club can provide opportunities to learn and collaborate with others interested in amateur particle physics.