Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Ammonia in icy moons of gas giants

1. Aug 17, 2017 #1
    Its generally a established that ammonia is present under the ice of many moons of gas giants. I guess many in the astronomy/astrobiologists community don't spend much time at home, as they would have noticed that ammonia is a household disinfectant. I understand we don't have any idea of the concentration it would be under the ices of various moons, but i wonder, am i the only one to notice this?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2017 #2

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

You're probably referring to the search of extraterrestrial life on icy moons, and think that presence of ammonia must mean its futile because it'd sterilise the environment.
    However, ammonia is also a precursor for amino acids and synthesis of nucleotides, and as such is essential for life.

The old Paracelcus' adage applies: the dose makes the poison.

Measurements of Enceladus' plume composition conducted by Cassini indicate approx 0.8% ammonia concentration (http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v460/n7254/full/nature08153.html?foxtrotcallback=true). Which while toxic to most large terrestrial animals, is tolerable to some species of bacteria. It is hardly a stretch to expect possible life evolved in those conditions to develop even more robust tolerance.

As a side note, I'm certain astrobiologists learn all about basic and not so basic chemistry in class.

4. Aug 31, 2017 #3
    The colonists could say that it was pissing outside without using figure of speech.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted