Amount of energy required to evaporate 1 liter if water through scheffler dish

In summary, the conversation is about setting up a Scheffler system to evaporate 9 lakh liters of waste water per day and determining the amount of energy required to evaporate 1 liter of water. According to the latent heat of vaporization of water, it would take approximately 0.62 kWh/liter. However, from an ideal standpoint, it would also require additional heat to raise the water to 100°C. The energy required for this contributes only 5% to the total requirement. To calculate the total energy needed, one can use the formula 20(1000 calories) times the number of degrees (100-T beginning), or 20000(100 - temperature of waste water in Celsius) in calories. This
ashishgourav
Hi
Our company is planning to setup a scheffler system to evaporate 9 lakh liters of "waste water" per day.

I just want to know that how much energy would it take to evaporate 1 liter of water.

According to "latent heat of vaporization of water" it would take around 0.62 kWh/liter but I'm not sure...please help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
From an ideal standpoint, it will be both heat of vaporization plus the heat required to raise the water to 100°C. The only google hit I can find on Scheffler water systems is this thread, so I can't help you any more.

I know that "both heat of vaporization plus the heat required to raise the water to 100°C" but the energy required to raise the water to 100°C contributes just 5% of the total requirement

ashishgourav said:
I know that "both heat of vaporization plus the heat required to raise the water to 100°C" but the energy required to raise the water to 100°C contributes just 5% of the total requirement

If that is true then it will take 20(1000 calories) times the number of degrees (100-T beginning)
or
20000 (100 - temp of waste water in celsius) in calories
If you take that number and multiply by 3.968 you will have BTUs
You can multiply BTUs by 0.000293 for kilowatt hours.

Hello,

I can confirm that the amount of energy required to evaporate 1 liter of water through a scheffler dish is approximately 0.62 kWh. This is based on the latent heat of vaporization of water, which is the amount of energy needed to change a liquid into a gas without changing its temperature.

To evaporate 9 lakh liters of waste water per day through a scheffler system, it would require a total of 558,000 kWh of energy. This is a significant amount, and it is important to consider the most efficient and sustainable energy sources for this process. It may also be beneficial to explore alternative methods of waste water treatment that require less energy.

I hope this information helps in your planning process. Please let me know if you have any further questions or if I can assist in any other way. Best of luck with your project.

1. What is the scheffler dish and how does it work?

The scheffler dish is a type of solar concentrator that uses mirrors to concentrate sunlight onto a focal point. This focal point can reach high temperatures, which can then be used to heat water or other substances.

2. How much energy is required to evaporate 1 liter of water using a scheffler dish?

The amount of energy required to evaporate 1 liter of water using a scheffler dish depends on several factors, including the efficiency of the dish, the intensity of the sunlight, and the initial temperature of the water. Generally, it can take anywhere from 1-2 hours to evaporate 1 liter of water using a scheffler dish.

3. Is the amount of energy required to evaporate 1 liter of water through a scheffler dish different from other methods?

Yes, the amount of energy required to evaporate 1 liter of water through a scheffler dish is different from other methods. Traditional methods, such as boiling water over a flame, require a constant input of energy to maintain the boiling temperature. The scheffler dish, on the other hand, uses solar energy which is free and renewable.

4. Can the scheffler dish be used to evaporate water in any climate?

The scheffler dish is most effective in sunny and hot climates, as it relies on the intensity of sunlight to heat the water. However, it can still be used in cooler climates, although it may take longer to evaporate the same amount of water.

5. Is using a scheffler dish to evaporate water more efficient than traditional methods?

Yes, using a scheffler dish to evaporate water is generally more efficient than traditional methods. This is because the dish can concentrate sunlight onto a small focal point, leading to higher temperatures and quicker evaporation. It also uses renewable energy, making it more sustainable in the long run.