1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amount of energy required to evaporate 1 liter if water through scheffler dish

1. May 20, 2010 #1
    Hi
    Our company is planning to setup a scheffler system to evaporate 9 lakh liters of "waste water" per day.

I just want to know that how much energy would it take to evaporate 1 liter of water.

According to "latent heat of vaporization of water" it would take around 0.62 kWh/liter but I'm not sure...please help!

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2010 #2

minger

Science Advisor

From an ideal standpoint, it will be both heat of vaporization plus the heat required to raise the water to 100°C. The only google hit I can find on Scheffler water systems is this thread, so I can't help you any more.

4. May 20, 2010 #3
    I know that "both heat of vaporization plus the heat required to raise the water to 100°C" but the energy required to raise the water to 100°C contributes just 5% of the total requirement

5. May 21, 2010 #4
    If that is true then it will take 20(1000 calories) times the number of degrees (100-T beginning)
    or
    20000 (100 - temp of waste water in celsius) in calories
    If you take that number and multiply by 3.968 you will have BTUs
    You can multiply BTUs by 0.000293 for kilowatt hours.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook