Amount of energy stored in a magnetic field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
rinarez7
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
1. 1. An air-core solenoid with 57 turns is 4.96 cm
long and has a diameter of 1.46 cm.
The permitivity of free space is 4×10−7 T·
m/A.
How much energy is stored in its magnetic
field when it carries a current of 0.634 A ?
Answer in units of μJ.
2.
B = mu-o (I) (N)/ L
Induction= mu-0 (N^2/l) A
U= (1/2) Induction (I ^2)

3. First I calculated Induction= 4pie-7 ( 57turns ^2/ .0496m) (pi(.0146^2))= 1.3785e-5

Then I used U = (1/2) induction (0.634 A ^2)= 2.7355μJ

I am on the wrong path? I thought of calculating the magentic field as well
using my first eqaution= 9.09795 e-4 T but I couldn't find the correct eqaution/ relationship to calculate the energy stored. Thanks in advance for any help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
My mistake, I did use the diameter/ 2 in my calculations ( just translated it incorrectly) so I still had the same calculation. Is there something else I am missing?