I'm not understanding how to calculate the magnetic field of a sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnetic field generated by a static sphere with a constant surface current flowing on its surface. The individual contributions of rings within the sphere are summed up to find the total field, but there is a question about how to turn it into an integral. It is clarified that the surface current is a linear current density, and the final result is found to be ##\mu K \frac{2}{3R}##.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
I need to calculate the magnetic field generated by a static sphere at its center. On the surface of the sphere flows a constant current ##K \hat \phi##.

Now, my guess was that the field produced would be equal to the field produced by a lot of rings, that is, i will split the sphere in a lot of rings, so we have:

$$B_{zring} = \mu I b^2/(2(b^2+z^2))^{3/2}$$

The total field will be:
$$\sum_{\theta} \mu K (R sin \theta)^2/(2(R^3))$$ (since b = Rcos and z = Rsin)

That's the real problem, how do i turn it in a integral?
I think there is some problems regarding my interpretation of the question:
Maybe K is the surface current, and not a current (as a corrent in a simple circuit) itself?
Is it possible to solve b this way?​

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Herculi said:
On the surface of the sphere flows a constant current $$K \phi$$.
What is ##\phi## here? Is this as in spherical polar coordinates? Which direction in those coordinates?

haruspex said:
What is ##\phi## here? Is this as in spherical polar coordinates? Which direction in those coordinates?
Ops, yes. ##\hat \phi## would be the unit tengential vector
1623894776807.png

Herculi said:
Ops, yes. \phi would be the unit tengential vectorView attachment 284577
Oh, so it is ##K\hat\phi##? And it is a current density, yes?

haruspex said:
Oh, so it is ##K\hat\phi##?
Just realized now that it makes more sense to be the superificial current density.

If it is the case, ##B = \int \mu (Rsin(\theta)^2 K R d\theta/(2*(R)^3) = \int \mu K sin^2 \theta d\theta / 2 = \mu K 2/3## Is it right??

Herculi said:
Just realized now that it makes more sense to be the superificial current density.

If it is the case, ##B = \int \mu (Rsin(\theta)^2 K R d\theta/(2*(R)^3) = \int \mu K sin^2 \theta d\theta / 2 = \mu K 2/3## Is it right??
I don't agree with the last step. What is the integral of ##\sin^2##?

Herculi said:

I think you also forgot a factor of ##\frac{1}{R}## in the result.

Delta2 said:
I think you also forgot a factor of ##\frac{1}{R}## in the result.
All the Rs cancelled.
K is a linear current density, so has dimension Q/(TL).

haruspex said:
All the Rs cancelled.
Yes sorry now I see the numerator is in fact ##(R\sin\theta)^2Rd\theta##. And of course by dimensional analysis you are right also :D

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnetic field of a sphere?

The formula for calculating the magnetic field of a sphere is B = μ0(M/4πr^3), where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, M is the magnetic moment of the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere.

2. How do I determine the magnetic moment of a sphere?

The magnetic moment of a sphere can be determined by multiplying the magnetic dipole moment (m) by the volume of the sphere (V). The magnetic dipole moment is equal to the product of the current (I) and the area (A) of the loop of wire used to create the sphere, so M = mV = IA*V.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the magnetic field of a sphere?

The unit of measurement for the magnetic field of a sphere is Tesla (T), which is equivalent to N/A*m.

4. Can the magnetic field of a sphere be affected by external factors?

Yes, the magnetic field of a sphere can be affected by external factors such as the presence of other magnetic fields, the material the sphere is made of, and the distance from other magnetic objects.

5. How is the magnetic field of a sphere different from the magnetic field of other shapes?

The magnetic field of a sphere is unique in that it is uniform in all directions around the sphere. Other shapes, such as cylinders or cubes, may have non-uniform magnetic fields due to their shape and orientation.