Amount of magnetic energy stored in a cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the magnetic field using Ampere's law and finding the energy density stored in a magnetic field of a given strength. The formula for the energy density is valid for all cases, but the variation of field strength depends on the geometry of the cables.
Physics lover
Homework Statement
Find the amount of energy stored in thin cylinder of length l,around a conductor carrying current I as shown.

The figure is in Attempt at a solution.
Relevant Equations
E=0.5LI^2
Ampere's Circuital Law
Inductance=Flux/Current
1565245344848-96805623.jpg

I first calculated Magnetic field at a distance x using Ampere's law.Then i took an element and wrote its inductance using L=Flux/Current.
Then i integrated from a to b.
But i arrived at nothing.
Help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the energy density stored in a magnetic field of a given strength?

mfb said:
What is the energy density stored in a magnetic field of a given strength?
It is Energy per unit volume,so should i first find energy for a part by energy density and integrate it?

You should find a relation that links energy density of a magnetic field (what you need) to the field strength (what you calculated).

mfb said:
You should find a relation that links energy density of a magnetic field (what you need) to the field strength (what you calculated).
yeah i think it is energy density=B2##/##2u0

mfb said:
Thanks i got the answer.Earlier i thought that this result was valid for only solenoid.But it is for all cases is it?

The formula for the energy density is valid for all cases (in vacuum, technically, but it is a good approximation in air). How the field strength varies in space depends on the geometry of the cables.

What is magnetic energy?

Magnetic energy is a type of potential energy that is stored within a magnetic field. It is the energy that is required to either create or maintain a magnetic field.

How is magnetic energy measured?

The unit of measurement for magnetic energy is the joule (J), which is the same unit used for other forms of energy such as heat and electricity. In some cases, it may also be measured in ergs (1 erg = 0.0000001 J).

What factors affect the amount of magnetic energy stored in a cylinder?

The amount of magnetic energy stored in a cylinder is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the size of the cylinder, and the type of material used to make the cylinder.

How can the amount of magnetic energy stored in a cylinder be calculated?

The amount of magnetic energy stored in a cylinder can be calculated using the formula E = (1/2) * μ * A * B^2, where E is the energy in joules, μ is the magnetic permeability of the material, A is the cross-sectional area of the cylinder, and B is the strength of the magnetic field.

What are some real-life applications of magnetic energy stored in a cylinder?

Magnetic energy stored in a cylinder is used in a variety of applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in magnetic storage devices such as hard drives and credit cards. In addition, magnetic energy is used in medical imaging technologies like MRI machines.