1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amount of force a motor can make in 35s

1. Feb 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An electric motor develops 65kW of power as it lifts a loaded elevator 17.5 m in 35s. How much force does the motor exert?
    Acceleration: .5
    2. Relevant equations
    F equals mass times acceleration

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok so I tried to find mass but when the equation was m equals N divided m/s(squared) but there isn't a weight there. Also I tried the force equation but I can't do that without mass...

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Power is measured in units of watts, which is a derived unit in the SI system. You are given a distance traveled by the elevator and a time in which to do this, which suggests a certain velocity for the elevator. Is there a formula for power which you can derive that uses force and velocity. Hint: look at the units of each quantity.

4. Feb 17, 2015 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Don't be put off by such matters. Just invent an unknown m for the mass and see if you can get enough equations to eliminate it later.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted