Amount of force a motor can make in 35s

  • Thread starter Thread starter PsychoSya
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Force Motor
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
PsychoSya
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


An electric motor develops 65kW of power as it lifts a loaded elevator 17.5 m in 35s. How much force does the motor exert?
Acceleration: .5

Homework Equations


F equals mass times acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution


Ok so I tried to find mass but when the equation was m equals N divided m/s(squared) but there isn't a weight there. Also I tried the force equation but I can't do that without mass...
[/B]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
PsychoSya said:

Homework Statement


An electric motor develops 65kW of power as it lifts a loaded elevator 17.5 m in 35s. How much force does the motor exert?
Acceleration: .5

Homework Equations


F equals mass times acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution


Ok so I tried to find mass but when the equation was m equals N divided m/s(squared) but there isn't a weight there. Also I tried the force equation but I can't do that without mass...[/B]
Power is measured in units of watts, which is a derived unit in the SI system. You are given a distance traveled by the elevator and a time in which to do this, which suggests a certain velocity for the elevator. Is there a formula for power which you can derive that uses force and velocity. Hint: look at the units of each quantity.
 
PsychoSya said:

Homework Statement


An electric motor develops 65kW of power as it lifts a loaded elevator 17.5 m in 35s. How much force does the motor exert?
Acceleration: .5

Homework Equations


F equals mass times acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution


Ok so I tried to find mass but when the equation was m equals N divided m/s(squared) but there isn't a weight there. Also I tried the force equation but I can't do that without mass...[/B]
Don't be put off by such matters. Just invent an unknown m for the mass and see if you can get enough equations to eliminate it later.