1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amount of math covered in a typical undergraduate engineering program?

1. Jun 24, 2012 #1
    Hi, I've just completed my first year in biomedical engineering, and I was wandering what is the amount of math covered in a typical undergraduate engineering program?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2012 #2
    All of calculus (including ODE's, PDE's, Fourier and Laplace Transforms); also, it usually includes Numerical Methods and basic Statistics. In EE they usually do Discrete Math as well.

4. Jun 24, 2012 #3
    As an EE I took math classes on Calculus (I-III), ODE, Prob/Stat, and a bit of numerical methods (taught by engineer).

In actual engineering classes I've learned bits and pieces of transforms (laplace, fourier, Z), linear algebra, vector analysis. Hard to remember what stuff i learned where since I'm also a math major.

5. Jun 25, 2012 #4
    Depends on what engineering and what school.

At my UG school BMEs and ChemEs take just Calc 1-4 (quarter system), Linear Algebra and ODEs. 6 math classes total, 2 years of continuous math. Not that math intensive. My school actually has an ABET accredited BME program which is pretty rare.

All engineers also take a programming class that teaches you how to use Matlab and Mathematica.

6. Jun 25, 2012 #5
    Math for Engineers is more applied and almost no proofs.

7. Jun 25, 2012 #6
    In computer engineering I did the standard single/multivariable calculus sequence, linear algebra, linear analysis, statistics and probability, numerical analysis and discrete mathematics. All of those were applied/computational except for discrete mathematics which also served as an introduction to proofs and algebra.

8. Jun 26, 2012 #7
    For biomedical engineering, you will most likely take the following:

Single variable calc, multivariable calc, ODE, statistics

Can't think of any others. The CS/EE guys generally take linear algebra as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook