Amount of time for a half period to occur

  • Thread starter Thread starter Capncanada
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Period Time
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 4K views
Capncanada
Messages
52
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A mass-spring system has k = 105 N/m and m = 1.75 kg.

If it is undergoing simple harmonic motion, how much time does it take the mass to go from x = A to x = 0?

Homework Equations



T=2pi*sqrt(m/k)

The Attempt at a Solution



Tried plugging in the values for the equation I gave to find T, then cutting it in half to find the amount of time the question asked for, but it's not the correct answer.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly is one cycle? If you understand that, you'll see why your answer is wrong. It may help to look at a diagram that shows one period in your textbook.
 
Sketch the x(t) function for a full period and see.

ehild
 
Capncanada said:
When the mass goes into the spring and back?
Yes. So in one cycle, if it starts at x(0)=A, it ends at x(T)=A, but more important, what does x(t) do in between? As ehild suggested, plot x(t) for one cycle.
 
Uhh x goes to A? Which equation can I use to solve for that? x=Acos(ωt)?

Sorry I'm braindead been studying all morning I just want this homework done.
 
Capncanada said:
Which equation can I use to solve for that? x=Acos(ωt)?

Yes. x = A cos (2pi* t/T). How does it look like? What is x at t=0, t=T/8, T/4, ...

ehild
 
So I can plug in x as A so that A cancels out here and then solve for t where T = 1/2?
 
Capncanada said:
So I can plug in x as A so that A cancels out here and then solve for t where T = 1/2?

Is T=1/2??


Would you please show me a cosine function? Please!

ehild