1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amount of time taken for truck over 5.0km

1. Apr 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hearing the siren of an approaching fire truck, you pull over to the side of the road and stop. As the truck approaches, you hear a tone of 460 Hz; as the truck recedes, you hear a tone of 410 Hz. How much time will it take for the truck to get from your position to the fire 5.0km away, assuming it maintains a constant speed.

2. Relevant equations
    t = Δx/v

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm trying to find the velocity of the truck first so I have 460 = f(340)/(340+v) for the approaching tone, and a receding tone represented by 410 = f(340)/(340-v) and I'm not exactly sure what to do next. Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2013 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

When the source approaches, the apparent frequency increases. So in the formula for apparent frequency,
    denominator should be 340 -v. Write the two formulae and divide to cancel f. Then simplify to get the velocity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted