Speed of Truck Relative to Highway: Solving the Puzzle

• Thread starter kent davidge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary: As the truck approaches the mirror, the distance between the image and the vertex decreases, causing the image speed to increase. Once the truck passes the vertex, the distance between the image and the vertex increases, causing the image speed to decrease. Therefore, the image speed is not constant.
kent davidge

Homework Statement

You are in your car driving on a highway at 25 m/s when you glance in the passenger-side mirror (a convex mirror with radius of curvature 150 cm) and notice a truck approaching. If the image of the truck is approaching the vertex of the mirror at a speed of when the truck is 2.0 m from the mirror, what is the speed of the truck relative to the highway?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(sorry my bad english)
Assuming both the truck and the car speeds to be constant, the truck takes the same time interval as its image to reach the vertex of the mirror. So,

1 / f = 1 / s + 1 / s'
-1 / 0.75 m = 1 / 2 m + 1 / s'
s' = -0.54 m
t = -0.54 m / -1.9 m /s
[ (V - 25) m / s ] t = 2 m
but solving this for V I didnt find the correct value: 51 m / s. Maybe the speed is'nt constant?

My sketch:

1264etw.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
The speed of the image will not be constant. You can see this by differentiating the 1/f formula.

I don't know how to do this :frown:

kent davidge said:
I don't know how to do this :frown:
The derivative of s with respect to time, ds/dt, is the velocity, v. What is the derivative of 1/s? Use the chain rule.

hmmmm let me try...

1 / f = 1 / V dt + 1 / V' dt
1 / f = 1 / dt (1 / V + 1 / V')

but how can I solve this derivative? would I need to express f as function of t?

Last edited:
kent davidge said:
hmmmm let me try...

1 / f = 1 / V dt + 1 / V' dt
1 / f = 1 / dt (1 / V + 1 / V')

but how can I solve this derivative? would I need to express f as function of t?
f is a constant. What is the derivative of a constant?
The chain rule says d/dt(1/s)= (ds/dt)(d/ds(1/s)). What is d/ds(1/s)?

ohh yah

(d / dt) 1 / f = 0
0 = - [(V - 25 m / s) / s²] - V' / s'²
V ≅ 51 m / s

but why the image speed is not constant?

Last edited:
kent davidge said:
ohh yah

(d / dt) 1 / f = 0
0 = - [(V - 25 m / s) / s²] - V' / s'²
V ≅ 51 m / s

but why the image speed is not constant?
Because the relationship between the two distances is nonlinear.

1. What is the speed of a truck relative to the highway?

The speed of a truck relative to the highway is the speed at which the truck is traveling in relation to the speed of the highway. This can be calculated by subtracting the speed of the highway from the speed of the truck.

2. How do you solve the puzzle of the speed of a truck relative to the highway?

The puzzle of the speed of a truck relative to the highway can be solved by using the formula d = rt, where d is the distance traveled, r is the rate (speed), and t is the time. By plugging in the known values for the distance and time, the rate (speed) can be calculated.

3. What factors can affect the speed of a truck relative to the highway?

The speed of a truck relative to the highway can be affected by various factors such as the weight and load of the truck, road conditions, weather, and traffic. These factors can impact the truck's acceleration, braking, and overall speed.

4. Is the speed of a truck always greater than the speed of the highway?

Not necessarily. The speed of a truck relative to the highway can vary depending on the situation. If the truck is traveling at a constant speed, it can be equal to the speed of the highway. However, if the truck is accelerating or decelerating, its speed may be greater or less than the speed of the highway.

5. How does the speed of a truck relative to the highway impact fuel efficiency?

The speed of a truck relative to the highway can greatly impact its fuel efficiency. Generally, the faster the truck is traveling, the more fuel it will consume. This is because the truck's engine has to work harder to maintain a higher speed. Therefore, traveling at a slower, more consistent speed on the highway can improve a truck's fuel efficiency.