Ampere turn balance (MMF balance) in transformers

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
36 replies · 14K views
@jim hardy From what I can tell, the EE's will learn the magnetomotive force concepts for use in transformers as in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetomotive_force, often without ever equating it to a form of Ampere's law for magnetic materials as described in post 29. Meanwhile, in the physics curriculum, they teach a whole bunch about Ampere's law, but the application to the mmf equation often is not presented. Even though I am already retired, my first exposure to the mmf equation was here on Physics Forums about a year ago. It was totally omitted from the electricity and magnetism university coursework that I had. With just a little effort, I was able to show that the mmf equation is a form of Ampere's law.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: cnh1995
Engineering news on Phys.org
I admire and envy your fluency with the equations. I'm a plodder - for me the MMF equation validates Maxwell's .

Yes as you suggest i was taught to sum mmf's just as in KVL we sum EMF's.
I remember Professor writing your simplified MMF equation on the board , i tried it out by working out a couple of simple examples and accepted it. I use it not infrequenty.
Concept of Surface Current was for me just a curious mental trick , necessary for people who use the Maxwell equations so their math will work out. It makes perfect sense though.
If i could measure DC voltage along the surface of a permanent magnet i'd have investigated Maxwell further. (edit i think i actually tried that - i often cross check formulas against observations to refine my meager understanding) Might have an opportunity for further study of Maxwell coming up.

old jim
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: cnh1995, dlgoff and Charles Link
jim hardy said:
View attachment 222192
it was part of an autotransformer based reduced voltage starter
Holy crap; that's a monster. Thanks for the photo.
jim hardy said:
i can't keep up with @dlgoff for creativity though.
I don't know about that. To me, what's important is having the goodies. ... as you have. :oldbiggrin:
Something I just learned, thanks to you, from investigating magnetomotive force(MMF); the Left-hand Rule to Find North Pole of an Electromagnet:
left hand rule.jpg
 

Attachments

  • left hand rule.jpg
    left hand rule.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 1,237
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jim hardy
Conventional or electron current ?
Now i got to try it...
 
dlgoff said:
Holy crap; that's a monster. Thanks for the photo.

I don't know about that. To me, what's important is having the goodies. ... as you have. :oldbiggrin:
Something I just learned, thanks to you, from investigating magnetomotive force(MMF); the Left-hand Rule to Find North Pole of an Electromagnet:
View attachment 222278
I believe your diagram is incorrect.
 
Charles Link said:
I believe your diagram is incorrect.
I was thinking the same, but seeing Jim's #34, it is electron current and not conventional current. So the right hand rule becomes left hand rule.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jim hardy and Charles Link
jim hardy said:
Conventional or electron current ?
Now i got to try it...
electron current
Charles Link said:
I believe your diagram is incorrect.
Yes. You're right.
cnh1995 said:
I was thinking the same, but seeing Jim's #34, it is electron current and not conventional current. So the right hand rule becomes left hand rule.
Thanks for that.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jim hardy