Amplitude decrease with geometrical spreading

In summary: A(0) / r where A(0) is the amplitude at r = 0.In summary, the amplitude of a seismic pulse decreases as the distance from the source increases due to geometrical spreading. This decrease in amplitude follows the inverse square law, where the amplitude decreases as 1/r. However, there is some confusion regarding the specific factor by which the amplitude decreases when the distance is doubled. While one source suggests a decrease by a factor of 2, another suggests a decrease by a factor of √2. Further investigation is needed to determine the correct factor.
AlecYates
Hey,

I'm looking at amplitude decrease of a seismic pulse as a result of geometrical spreading.

Starting with I = E / (4 * pi * r2) where E = original energy from source, we know that energy falls off as 1/r2, thus amplitude falls off as 1/r.

From wikipedia: "The energy or intensity decreases (divided by 4) as the distance r is doubled;"

This makes sense to me, as when r is doubled we have the energy divided by (2r)2 = 4r2 (which is 4x r2).

From this same principle, I would expect that the amplitude is divided by 2 when the distance is doubled as we have 1/2r instead of 1/r.

However from a Louisiana State University website:

"Geomteric spreading makes the amplitude of a signal falls off in proportion to the distance traveled by the ray. So that if the path of flight is doubled the amplitude will decrease by a factor of: square root of 2."

I can't see how they got their factor of √2 instead of 2.

Is one a mistake or am I missing something?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
AlecYates said:
Hey,

I'm looking at amplitude decrease of a seismic pulse as a result of geometrical spreading.

Starting with I = E / (4 * pi * r2) where E = original energy from source, we know that energy falls off as 1/r2, thus amplitude falls off as 1/r.

From wikipedia: "The energy or intensity decreases (divided by 4) as the distance r is doubled;"

This makes sense to me, as when r is doubled we have the energy divided by (2r)2 = 4r2 (which is 4x r2).

From this same principle, I would expect that the amplitude is divided by 2 when the distance is doubled as we have 1/2r instead of 1/r.

However from a Louisiana State University website:

"Geomteric spreading makes the amplitude of a signal falls off in proportion to the distance traveled by the ray. So that if the path of flight is doubled the amplitude will decrease by a factor of: square root of 2."

I can't see how they got their factor of √2 instead of 2.

Is one a mistake or am I missing something?

Cheers
Think of a compression/sound wave spreading out from a source equally in all directions as concentric spherical shells of energy. The energy in a given shell is constant. So the energy density is inversely proportional to the area of that sphere: i.e. energy per unit area varies as 1/r^2 where r is the radius of the shell.

The question you are asking has to do with the relationship between amplitude and energy density of a wave front. Think of the vibration of a spring: the energy contained in the spring is proportional to the square of the maximum amplitude. PE = kx^2/2 .

Since the energy contained in the wave front is proportional to the square of the amplitude and the energy density is inversely proportional to r^2, how would amplitude vary with r?

AM

1. What is geometrical spreading in the context of amplitude decrease?

Geometrical spreading is a phenomenon that describes the decrease in amplitude of a wave as it propagates through space. It occurs due to the spreading out of energy as the wave travels away from its source.

2. How does distance affect the amplitude of a wave?

The amplitude of a wave decreases as the distance from the source increases. This is because the energy of the wave is spread out over a larger area, resulting in a decrease in amplitude.

3. What is the relationship between geometrical spreading and amplitude decrease?

Geometrical spreading is directly related to amplitude decrease. As the wave spreads out, the amplitude decreases due to the spreading out of energy.

4. Can geometrical spreading be calculated?

Yes, geometrical spreading can be calculated using the inverse square law, which states that the amplitude of a wave is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the rate of amplitude decrease due to geometrical spreading?

Yes, the rate of amplitude decrease can be affected by factors such as the frequency of the wave, the medium through which it is propagating, and any obstacles or barriers that the wave encounters.