Amplitude Modulation of a wave

In summary, on the next page of the textbook, it states that the signal x (t) = Am sinωmt + Ac sin ωct is passed through a square law device to produce the signal x (t). The equation for x (t) is different than the one which was used earlier in the textbook.
Prashasti

Homework Statement

I am utterly confused. When I was reading my textbook , I found something unacceptable.

While deriving an expression for a modulated wave,
It's been given that
"A sinusoidal carrier wave can be represented as c (t) = Ac sin
(ωt + Φ)
where c (t) is the signal strength of the carrier wave.
Let m (t) = Am sinωmt represent the message or the modulating signal.
The modulated signal cm (t) can be written as
cm= (Ac+Amsin ωmt) sin ωct

I wonder how's it possible! Shouldn't it be cm (t) = Acsin ωct + Am sinωmt ?

But then I made an adhoc assumption - which was not satisfactory - but I thought it could be justified from a more rigorous application of mathematics. So, I continued reading

On the next page, I found something in contrast to my "assumption".
In the topic "Production of amplitude modulated wave" -
According to my textbook "Here the modulating signal Am
sinωmt is added to the carrier signal Acsinωt to produce the signal x (t). This signal x (t) = Am sinωmt + Ac sin ωct is passed through a square law device."

Now this equation for x (t) is different from the one which was used (in the textbook) earlier.
What even is happening?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the sum of two signals of different frequencies ω1 and ω2 is the input of a linear network, the output would be again the sum of two signals with the same frequencies.
Using a nonlinear device, one, for example, that produces the square of the input, it will "mix" the frequencies. Expand (Asin(ω1t) + Bsin(ω2t ))2, what do you get? ( there will be components with frequencies of 2ω1, 2ω2, ω12, ω12).
Semiconductor diodes, transistors have nonlinear characteristics, and can be used for "mixing frequencies"

Likes Prashasti
ehild said:
If the sum of two signals of different frequencies ω1 and ω2 is the input of a linear network, the output would be again the sum of two signals with the same frequencies.
Using a nonlinear device, one, for example, that produces the square of the input, it will "mix" the frequencies. Expand (Asin(ω1t) + Bsin(ω2t ))2, what do you get? ( there will be components with frequencies of 2ω1, 2ω2, ω12, ω12).
Semiconductor diodes, transistors have nonlinear characteristics, and can be used for "mixing frequencies"

Ok.
So, the problem lies in the arrangement of all that in my textbook..

They mentioned the result before deducing the expression for the same.
I got it!
Thanks!

I can understand your confusion and frustration. It is important to carefully review and analyze the equations and assumptions presented in textbooks and scientific literature. It is possible that there may be typos or errors in the equations, or that different authors may use slightly different equations or assumptions.

In the case of amplitude modulation, both equations you mentioned are correct and can be used to represent the modulated signal. The first equation, cm (t) = (Ac + Am sin ωmt) sin ωct, is known as the "product modulator" equation and is commonly used in the analysis of amplitude modulation. The second equation, x (t) = Am sin ωmt + Ac sin ωct, is known as the "sum modulator" equation and is commonly used in the practical implementation of amplitude modulation.

It is important to note that both equations are derived from different assumptions and models, but they ultimately represent the same modulated signal. It is up to the reader to carefully examine and understand the context in which each equation is used.

In the production of amplitude modulated waves, a square law device is used to produce the sum of the carrier and modulating signals, resulting in the second equation x (t). This is a practical approach to implementing amplitude modulation and may not necessarily match the theoretical analysis using the first equation cm (t).

I would recommend consulting with your teacher or a fellow scientist to further clarify any confusion and ensure a thorough understanding of the topic. It is also important to critically analyze and question the information presented in textbooks and scientific literature. As scientists, it is our responsibility to strive for accuracy and clarity in our work.

1. What is Amplitude Modulation?

Amplitude modulation (AM) is a method of varying the amplitude of a carrier wave in order to transmit information. This is commonly used in radio communication to broadcast audio signals.

2. How does Amplitude Modulation work?

In AM, the amplitude of the carrier wave is varied in proportion to the amplitude of the input signal. This creates sidebands on either side of the carrier frequency, which contain the information being transmitted. The receiver then demodulates the signal to extract the original information.

3. What are the advantages of Amplitude Modulation?

AM is a simple and inexpensive method of modulation. It also has a wide range of applications, including radio broadcasting, two-way radio communication, and even in some types of radar systems.

4. What are the disadvantages of Amplitude Modulation?

One major disadvantage of AM is its susceptibility to noise and interference. Any changes in the amplitude of the carrier wave, such as from atmospheric conditions or nearby electrical equipment, can affect the quality of the transmitted signal.

5. How is Amplitude Modulation different from Frequency Modulation?

While AM varies the amplitude of the carrier wave, frequency modulation (FM) varies the frequency of the carrier wave. FM is less susceptible to noise and interference, but it is also more complex and requires a wider bandwidth. AM is typically used for broadcasting audio signals, while FM is often used for high-quality music transmission.