Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amplitude modulation and amplifier efficiency

1. Jun 21, 2015 #1
    " A intelligence signal is amplified by a 80% efficient amplifier before being combined with a 12kW carrier to generate the AM signal. if it is desired to operate at 100% modulation, what is the DC input power at the modulator" The choices are a: 12kW b. 7.14kW c.7.5kW d. 15kW

my solution:

For 100% modulation the modulating signal power must be one half of the carrier power.
    Pm=0.5Pc=6kW
    Pm is the output of the 80% efficient amplifier.
    efficiency=Pout/Pin=Pm/Pin
    Pin=Pm/efficiency=6kW/0.8=7.5kW
    Is this right?

How do I solve problems like this? Sometimes i do the same procedure for a similar question but with different values, but I get a wrong answer. Can you suggest a good reference. I am currently using the electronics communications books by frenzel and blake

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2015 #2

tech99

Gold Member

This seems to be the correct answer for a sinusoidal modulating signal.

4. Jun 21, 2015 #3
    These are sample problems from Blake's electronic comms book:
    1.) A transmitter has a carrier power output of 10W at an efficiency of 70%. How much power must be supplied by the modulating amplifier for 100% modulation
    Book Solution: efficiency=Po/Ps (I don't know what Po is exactly, but Ps was defined as the DC input power to the final amplifier)
    Ps=Po/efficiency =10W/0.7 = 14.3W
    Pa=0.5Ps=7.125W (Pa is the power required from the modulating amplifier)

2.)A collector modulated class C amplifier has a carrier output power of 100W and an efficiency of 70%. Calculate the supply power and the transistor power dissipation of 100% modulation.
    Book Solution: For 100% modulation.
    Po=1.5Pc=1.5(100W)=150W
    Ps=P0/efficiency=150W/0.7=214W
    Pdissipated=Ps-Po=64W

From Problem 1 it seems that Po is the carrier output power. But in problem 2, Pc is the carrier output power? I really don't get. Can you recommend other references regarding this topic

`

5. Jun 22, 2015 #4

tech99

Gold Member

In problem 2, I think they are asking for the power supply requirements of just the PA. Its power supply furnishes 100W/0.7 = 143W under no modulation. With 100% modulation, the additional power of 71.5W required by the PA is supplied by the modulator rather than the PA DC supply.
    I am sorry I cannot recommend books because my own are now 70 years old and not easily available!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook