Average power in Amplitude Modulation

In summary, the use of a bandpass filter to remove one sideband in single-sideband operation results in a trade-off between power and bandwidth. This is because removing two out of the three signals reduces the transmitted power in relation to the power in the remaining sideband. Additionally, the absence of the carrier and the other sideband allows for other SSB signals to occupy the freed-up bandwidth. To better understand this concept, it is recommended to research "amplitude modulation" and compare it to AM-SSB.
onceinalifetim

Homework Statement

how the overall power becomes lesser when one side band is taken away by the bandpass filter and also how it limits the bandwidth of the signal

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

there is will be the trade off between power and bandwidth. Vdc and Vm are peak values of the carrier and modulating sine waves. the power in the carrier and sidebands can be calculated the power formula..

Physics news on Phys.org
In single-sideband operation (SSB) the carrier and one of the two sidebands are removed. Since power exists in the carrier and both sidebands, removing two out of the three signals reduces the transmitted power in relation to the power in the remaining sideband. And the absence of the carrier and the other sideband makes room for other SSB signals.

hi.. thanks for the reply..

may i know how does it effect the limits the bandwidth go the signal? i still very confuse about this point.

hi..

do you have any links that i can read?? thanks

onceinalifetim said:
hi.. thanks for the reply..

may i know how does it effect the limits the bandwidth go the signal? i still very confuse about this point.

As I said, removing the carrier and one of the sidebands makes bandwidth available for other signals.

I suggest a search on "amplitude modulation". You need to start with what's called "ordinary amplitude modulation" which is like what your AM radio uses. Then you can see how AM-SSB differs from ordinary AM, including power in the carrier and the sidebands.

What is amplitude modulation?

Amplitude modulation is a type of modulation in which the amplitude (strength) of a carrier signal is varied in proportion to the message signal being transmitted.

What is average power in amplitude modulation?

The average power in amplitude modulation is the average power of the carrier signal over time, taking into account the modulation caused by the message signal.

How is average power calculated in amplitude modulation?

The average power in amplitude modulation can be calculated by taking the integral of the instantaneous power of the modulated signal over one period, and dividing it by the length of that period.

Why is average power an important factor in amplitude modulation?

Average power is an important factor in amplitude modulation because it affects the overall efficiency of the transmission system and can impact the quality of the received signal. It is also important for regulatory purposes, as it determines the amount of power that can be legally transmitted.

Can average power be controlled in amplitude modulation?

Yes, average power in amplitude modulation can be controlled by adjusting the modulation index (ratio of message signal amplitude to carrier signal amplitude), the carrier signal amplitude, or using techniques such as envelope detection to reduce the average power of the modulated signal.