1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average power in Amplitude Modulation

1. Apr 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

how the overall power becomes lesser when one side band is taken away by the bandpass filter and also how it limits the bandwidth of the signal

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

there is will be the trade off between power and bandwidth. Vdc and Vm are peak values of the carrier and modulating sine waves. the power in the carrier and sidebands can be calculated the power formula..

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2014 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In single-sideband operation (SSB) the carrier and one of the two sidebands are removed. Since power exists in the carrier and both sidebands, removing two out of the three signals reduces the transmitted power in relation to the power in the remaining sideband. And the absence of the carrier and the other sideband makes room for other SSB signals.

4. Apr 24, 2014 #3
    hi.. thanks for the reply..

may i know how does it effect the limits the bandwidth go the signal??? i still very confuse about this point.

5. Apr 24, 2014 #4
    hi..

do you have any links that i can read?? thanks

6. Apr 24, 2014 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As I said, removing the carrier and one of the sidebands makes bandwidth available for other signals.

I suggest a search on "amplitude modulation". You need to start with what's called "ordinary amplitude modulation" which is like what your AM radio uses. Then you can see how AM-SSB differs from ordinary AM, including power in the carrier and the sidebands.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted