An AAS Conference Story: Hilarious and Heart-Wrenching

• Thread starter Lavabug
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conference
In summary, the US government is cutting back on funding for high-energy physics, which may lead to students having to find other ways to fund their research projects.
Lavabug
I thought this was worth sharing, filmed at an AAS conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTvajOQ_xak

Both hilarious and a little sad.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm working on a grant application with a deadline of midnight tonight. That hit home! Hard! Ouch! :yuck:

Thanks for sharing.

Best of luck.

Just finished filing for a bunch of post-bachelors research scholarships/apps myself, I really should get back to revising for finals!

Nice to see there's a human side to the cutthroat world of science funding

turbo said:
Perhaps researchers should get some training in sales, though it can be tough selling something intangible... :)

NASA has obtained $500bn of public money over their ~50 year run, which is less than the US financial sector payout that was negotiated in less than a year and didn't produce anything more tangible than what NASA produced.

If they can do it, so can you!

*sigh*

Lavabug said:
I thought this was worth sharing, filmed at an AAS conference:

Both hilarious and a little sad.

That's hysterical. Thanks for finding it, Lavabug!

Zz.

Just last night I was reading in the latest Physics Today, an article about people using crowdsourcing sites to try to get some money for their research projects.

Last edited:
jtbell said:
Just last night I was reading the in the latest Physics Today, an article about people using crowdsourcing sites to try to get some money for their research projects.

The people in the US High Energy Physics may have to do that, or even a bake sale, if the current http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2013/04/obamas-2014-science-budget.html#DOE2 for the next fiscal year comes true.

In contrast, DOE's high-energy physics program, which funds work in elementary particle physics, would see its budget fall 1.7% from the 2012 level to $777 million.

HEP in the US is really under severe stress for the past few years. And students who are thinking about going into this field need to be aware of this trend that appears to not be changing anytime soon.

Zz.

1. What is "An AAS Conference Story: Hilarious and Heart-Wrenching" about?

"An AAS Conference Story: Hilarious and Heart-Wrenching" is a humorous and emotional tale about a group of scientists attending a conference and the unexpected events that unfold during their trip.

2. Is the story based on real experiences at a scientific conference?

Yes, the story is based on real experiences and anecdotes shared by scientists who have attended conferences. However, some elements have been exaggerated for comedic effect.

3. Are there any scientific themes or messages in the story?

While the story is primarily a comedic one, it does touch on themes of perseverance, camaraderie, and the importance of scientific collaboration and networking at conferences.

4. Can non-scientists still enjoy "An AAS Conference Story: Hilarious and Heart-Wrenching"?

Yes, the story can be enjoyed by anyone, regardless of their scientific background. The humor and relatable situations make it entertaining for a wide audience.

5. Is there a sequel or continuation to the story?

At this time, there is no sequel or continuation planned for "An AAS Conference Story: Hilarious and Heart-Wrenching". However, the author may revisit the characters and their adventures in the future.