An AAS Conference Story: Hilarious and Heart-Wrenching

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lavabug
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Conference
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Lavabug
Messages
858
Reaction score
37
I thought this was worth sharing, filmed at an AAS conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTvajOQ_xak

Both hilarious and a little sad.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm working on a grant application with a deadline of midnight tonight. That hit home! Hard! Ouch!

Thanks for sharing.
 
Best of luck.

Just finished filing for a bunch of post-bachelors research scholarships/apps myself, I really should get back to revising for finals!

Nice to see there's a human side to the cutthroat world of science funding
 
turbo said:
Perhaps researchers should get some training in sales, though it can be tough selling something intangible... :)

NASA has obtained $500bn of public money over their ~50 year run, which is less than the US financial sector payout that was negotiated in less than a year and didn't produce anything more tangible than what NASA produced.

If they can do it, so can you!

*sigh*
 
Lavabug said:
I thought this was worth sharing, filmed at an AAS conference:

Both hilarious and a little sad.

That's hysterical. Thanks for finding it, Lavabug!

Zz.
 
Just last night I was reading in the latest Physics Today, an article about people using crowdsourcing sites to try to get some money for their research projects.
 
Last edited:
jtbell said:
Just last night I was reading the in the latest Physics Today, an article about people using crowdsourcing sites to try to get some money for their research projects.

The people in the US High Energy Physics may have to do that, or even a bake sale, if the current http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2013/04/obamas-2014-science-budget.html#DOE2 for the next fiscal year comes true.

In contrast, DOE's high-energy physics program, which funds work in elementary particle physics, would see its budget fall 1.7% from the 2012 level to $777 million.

HEP in the US is really under severe stress for the past few years. And students who are thinking about going into this field need to be aware of this trend that appears to not be changing anytime soon.

Zz.