An approximate solution to the Van der Pauw equation

• Thread starter smithg86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Approximate
In summary, the conversation discusses approximating the function f in the van der pauw equation for resistivity when the ratio R_1/R_2 is about 1000. It is mentioned that if R_1 and R_2 are almost equal, f can be approximated using a formula from van der pauw's 1958 paper. It is also mentioned that the equation is transcendental, but a Taylor series can still be used. The conversation ends with a question about what expression to expand in order to find an approximate solution.
smithg86

Homework Statement

question: approximate the function f if the ratio R_1 / R_2 is about 1000.

given:
the van der pauw equation for resistivity:
\rho = ( pi * d / ln[2] ) * (R_1 + R_2})/2 * f(R_1 / R_2),

where f is a function of the ratio R_1/R_2 only and satisfies the relation:

(R_1- R_2)/(R_1+R_2) = f arccosh{exp(ln[2]/f) / 2}.

from van der pauw's 1958 paper:if R_1 and R_2 are almost equal, f can be approximated by the formula

f ~ 1 - [ (R_1 - R_2) / (R_1 + R_2) ]^2 * ln[2] / 2 - [(R_1 - R_2)/(R_1 + R_2)]^4 * {(ln[2])^2 / 4 - (ln[2])^3 / 12}.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to start this.

Physics news on Phys.org
smithg86 said:
from van der pauw's 1958 paper: if R_1 and R_2 are almost equal, f can be approximated by the formula

f ~ 1 - [ (R_1 - R_2) / (R_1 + R_2) ]^2 * ln[2] / 2 - [(R_1 - R_2)/(R_1 + R_2)]^4 * {(ln[2])^2 / 4 - (ln[2])^3 / 12}.

That approximation doesn't seem like it would be very accurate when [itex]R_1=1000R_2[/itex]!:wink:

I have no idea how to start this.

What does [itex]\frac{R_1-R_2}{R_1+R_2}[/itex] equal when [itex]\frac{R_1}{R_2}=1000[/itex]?

What does [itex]\frac{R_1-R_2}{R_1+R_2}[/itex] equal when [itex]\frac{R_1}{R_2}=1000[/itex]?[/QUOTE]

It's 999/1001. But I don't know how to apply that to find an approximate solution. How do you go about finding an approximate solution to that, or any other function?

I can't seem to solve the equation explicitly for f (I think it's transcendental). Can I still use the Taylor series method?

Yes, it is transcendental, but I think you can still use a Taylor series. However, at the moment I can't think of exactly what expression your going to want to expand to make things easiest...I'll give it some more thought in the morning, but in the meantime hopefully someone else will jump in.

1. What is the Van der Pauw equation?

The Van der Pauw equation is a mathematical relationship that describes the electrical resistance of a thin, planar sample. It is commonly used in experimental techniques to measure the resistivity and electrical properties of materials.

2. What is an approximate solution to the Van der Pauw equation?

An approximate solution to the Van der Pauw equation is a simplified version of the equation that can be used to estimate the electrical properties of a material without the need for complex calculations. This solution is often used when the sample is not perfectly planar or when the measurements are not precise.

3. How is the Van der Pauw equation used in experiments?

In experiments, the Van der Pauw equation is used to determine the resistivity of the sample by measuring the electrical resistance at different points on the surface. The equation takes into account the geometry of the sample and the placement of the measurement probes to calculate the resistivity.

4. What are the limitations of the approximate solution to the Van der Pauw equation?

The approximate solution to the Van der Pauw equation is not as accurate as the full equation and should only be used when the sample is relatively thin and the measurements are not highly precise. Additionally, the solution assumes a perfect planar sample, which may not always be the case.

5. Are there any variations of the Van der Pauw equation?

Yes, there are variations of the Van der Pauw equation that take into account different sample geometries and measurement configurations. These variations may be necessary for more accurate calculations in certain experimental setups.