The ground state of helium - showing that parhelium is ground state

In summary, the Hamiltonian for helium can be expressed as the sum of two hydrogen Hamiltonians and the Coulomb interaction of two electrons. The wave function for parahelium has a symmetric spatial function and an antisymmetric one. For orthohelium, the functions are the opposite. The ground state of helium is parahelium, which is determined by the spatial symmetry of the wave function.
Emspak

Homework Statement

The Hamiltonian of helium can be expressed as the sum of two hydrogen Hamiltonians and that of the Coulomb interaction of two electrons.

[itex]\hat H = \hat H_1 + \hat H_2 + \hat H_{1,2}[/itex]

The wave function for parahelium (spin = 0) is

[itex]\psi(1,2) = \psi_S(r_1, r_2)\dot \xi_A(s_1, s_2)[/itex] with the first being a symmetric spatial function and the second being an antisymmetric one.

We can separate this into the normalized function

[itex]\psi_S(r_1,r_2) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[\psi_1(r_1)(\psi_2(r_2)+ \psi_1(r_2)(\psi_2(r_1)]=\psi_S(r_2,r_1)[/itex]

For orthohelium the functions look like this:

[itex]\psi(1,2) = \psi_A(r_1, r_2)\dot \xi_S(s_1, s_2)[/itex]
[itex]\psi_A(r_1,r_2) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[\psi_1(r_1)(\psi_2(r_2) - \psi_1(r_2)(\psi_2(r_1)]=\psi_A(r_2,r_1)[/itex]

Show the ground state of helium is parahelium. The hint is what happens to the wavefunction.

Homework Equations

OK, so I start with that the Hamiltonian of the given wave function(s)

$$H_1 = \frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial^2 r_1^2} = E_1 \psi, H_2 = \frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial^2 r_1^2} = E_2 \psi,
H_{1,2} = -\frac{e^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0 r_{1,2}}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, I was trying to get a handle on how to get started with this. My first thought was to treat each Hamiltonian separately and just get a wavefunction the way I would solving any Schrodinger, though I am not sure of the boundary conditions. Then I can get a value for energy. But my sense is there is a simpler way to do it. I don't need a whole walk-through I don't think, I am just trying to understand some of the slutions I do see out there.

Physics news on Phys.org
and looking into it some more I wanted to check if this was an OK (mathematically speaking) thing to do:
One thing I thought of doing was this (for [itex]H_1[/itex]):

$$H_1 = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}(\frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial r_1^2}+\frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial r_2^2})=E_1(\psi_1(r_2)+\psi_1(r_1))$$

but again I don't know if that's kosher

Thanks.

Emspak said:
For orthohelium the functions look like this:

[itex]\psi(1,2) = \psi_A(r_1, r_2)\dot \xi_S(s_1, s_2)[/itex]
[itex]\psi_A(r_1,r_2) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[\psi_1(r_1)(\psi_2(r_2) - \psi_1(r_2)(\psi_2(r_1)]=\psi_A(r_2,r_1)[/itex]
You mean
$$
\psi_A(r_1,r_2) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[\psi_1(r_1) \psi_2(r_2) - \psi_1(r_2)\psi_2(r_1)]= - \psi_A(r_2,r_1)
$$

Emspak said:
OK, so I start with that the Hamiltonian of the given wave function(s)

$$H_1 = \frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial^2 r_1^2} = E_1 \psi, H_2 = \frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial^2 r_1^2} = E_2 \psi,
H_{1,2} = -\frac{e^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0 r_{1,2}}$$
You're missing the Coulomb interaction between the electrons and the nucleus. Both ##H_1## and ##H_2## look like the single-electron (hydrogenic atom) Hamiltonian.

Emspak said:
OK, I was trying to get a handle on how to get started with this. My first thought was to treat each Hamiltonian separately and just get a wavefunction the way I would solving any Schrodinger, though I am not sure of the boundary conditions.
That part should be trivial: it is easy to find the solution for a hydrogenic atom.

You have the right approach. Look at the energy of the two-electron system by first neglecting the electron-electron interaction (treat it as a perturbation, even though it is not really one).

OK, adding in the potential terms I wanted to make sure this was o to do:
For the [itex]\psi(r_1,r_2)[/itex] function I should have (With the potential terms)
$$H_1 = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}(\frac{\partial^2 \psi_1}{\partial r_1^2}+\frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial r_2^2}-\frac{2e^2}{4\pi \epsilon_0 r}-\frac{2e^2}{4\pi \epsilon_0 r})=E_1(\psi_1(r_2)+\psi_1(r_1))$$.

To solve that I can further break that up as follows:

$$-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2 \psi_1}{\partial r_1^2}-\frac{2e^2}{4\pi \epsilon_0 r_1}=E\psi_1(r_1)$$
$$-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial r_2^2}-\frac{2e^2}{4\pi \epsilon_0 r}=E_1\psi_1(r_2)$$.

Right? Add these energies up and I should have a different result for the assymetric and symmetric cases. (One of the functions is negative, for one thing).

Emspak said:
OK, adding in the potential terms I wanted to make sure this was o to do:
For the [itex]\psi(r_1,r_2)[/itex] function I should have (With the potential terms)
$$H_1 = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}(\frac{\partial^2 \psi_1}{\partial r_1^2}+\frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial r_2^2}-\frac{2e^2}{4\pi \epsilon_0 r}-\frac{2e^2}{4\pi \epsilon_0 r})=E_1(\psi_1(r_2)+\psi_1(r_1))$$.

To solve that I can further break that up as follows:

$$-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2 \psi_1}{\partial r_1^2}-\frac{2e^2}{4\pi \epsilon_0 r_1}=E\psi_1(r_1)$$
$$-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial r_2^2}-\frac{2e^2}{4\pi \epsilon_0 r}=E_1\psi_1(r_2)$$.

Right? Add these energies up and I should have a different result for the assymetric and symmetric cases. (One of the functions is negative, for one thing).

Just consider what happens to the spatial part of the wavefunction in the ground state. Is it spatially symmetric or anti-symmetric?

Now, what must the spin part be then?

1. What is the ground state of helium?

The ground state of helium is the lowest energy state that an atom can be in. It is the most stable state and is typically represented as the electron configuration 1s2. This means that both of helium's electrons are in the 1s orbital, the closest orbital to the nucleus.

2. How does parhelium relate to the ground state of helium?

Parhelium is another term for the ground state of helium. It was coined by scientists to emphasize the stability and similarity of the ground state to the noble gas helium, which has a full outer shell of electrons.

3. What evidence supports the idea that parhelium is the ground state of helium?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the idea that parhelium is the ground state of helium. One is the fact that it is the lowest energy state, meaning that it is the most stable configuration for the helium atom. Additionally, experiments have shown that helium atoms tend to occupy this configuration in their natural state.

4. Can the ground state of helium be changed?

Yes, the ground state of helium can be changed through various means such as adding energy to the atom or subjecting it to extreme pressures. However, these changes are temporary and the atom will eventually return to its ground state, as it is the most stable configuration.

5. Why is understanding the ground state of helium important?

Understanding the ground state of helium is important because it helps us understand the behavior of atoms and their electrons. It also allows us to predict and explain various chemical and physical properties of helium, such as its tendency to not react with other elements due to its stable electron configuration.