Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An elementary equation manipulation in CFT

1. Nov 13, 2015 #1
    A presumably basic introductory equation manipulation in 2-d conformal field theory. How does from
    upload_2015-11-13_21-52-51.png

(when the metric is Euclidean) follow
    upload_2015-11-13_21-53-14.png

The right equation is clear (the metric is zero for different indices). But how do i get to the first equation on the left?

thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2015 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

set μ = ν = 0 and calculate, then μ = ν = 1 and compare the results

4. Nov 14, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the reply! But I don't understand what you mean. If I set zero or one, then RHS and LHS do not add up, in either case.

0ε0 + ∂0ε0 = ∂0ε0

??

5. Nov 14, 2015 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I do not know for sure how ##η## is defined. Since you did not explain it and I'm too lazy to search what you might have meant, I supposed ##η## to be the Kronecker symbol according to your calculation above.
    If I then first compute ##δ_0 ε_0 = ...## and next ##δ_1 ε_1 = ...## then I get the same result, i.e. they are equal.

6. Nov 14, 2015 #5

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since presumably ##\partial\cdot \epsilon = \partial_0 \epsilon_0+\partial_1 \epsilon_1## in your conventions, you should have found ##2\partial_0 \epsilon_0 = \partial_0 \epsilon_0+\partial_1 \epsilon_1## for the 00 component.

7. Nov 15, 2015 #6
    Ahaa. I did not understand that ∂⋅ε is a sum. (or an inner product)

Thanks everybody!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook