1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An elevator moving up and a bolt falling down

1. Aug 28, 2007 #1
    A bolt comes loose from the bottom of an elevator that is moving upward at a speed of 6.38 m/s. The bolt reaches the bottom of the elevator shaft in 3.85 s. How high up was the elevator when the bolt came loose?

I integrated 6.38 to get the position equation and plugged in 3.85. However, I'm not really sue that's right at all. Could someone show me what type of equation I should be using?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2007 #2
    Should I get the height of the elevator at 3.85 seconds. Then use 9.8m/s and create a position equation for the falling bolt.
  4. Aug 28, 2007 #3
    firstly you have posted this in the wrong forum

here are some hints which maybe able to help you

[tex]s = ut + \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex]

the velocity of the elevator is acting in the opposite direction to gravity, therefore it is a negative velocity in respect to gravity so gravity will be 9.8m/s/s and the elevator velocity will be -6.8m/s

you have the value of t so use the equation above, where s is the displacement, i.e., how high up the elevator was in the shaft
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?