An elevator moving up and a bolt falling down

In summary, to find the height of the elevator when the bolt came loose, you can use the equation s = ut + 1/2at^2 where s is the displacement, u is the initial velocity (in this case, -6.8m/s), a is acceleration due to gravity (9.8m/s/s), and t is the time (3.85s). Remember to use a negative velocity for the elevator since it is moving in the opposite direction of gravity.
chaotixmonjuish
A bolt comes loose from the bottom of an elevator that is moving upward at a speed of 6.38 m/s. The bolt reaches the bottom of the elevator shaft in 3.85 s. How high up was the elevator when the bolt came loose?

I integrated 6.38 to get the position equation and plugged in 3.85. However, I'm not really sue that's right at all. Could someone show me what type of equation I should be using?

Physics news on Phys.org
Should I get the height of the elevator at 3.85 seconds. Then use 9.8m/s and create a position equation for the falling bolt.

firstly you have posted this in the wrong forum

here are some hints which maybe able to help you

[tex]s = ut + \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex]

the velocity of the elevator is acting in the opposite direction to gravity, therefore it is a negative velocity in respect to gravity so gravity will be 9.8m/s/s and the elevator velocity will be -6.8m/s

you have the value of t so use the equation above, where s is the displacement, i.e., how high up the elevator was in the shaft

What is the relationship between an elevator moving up and a bolt falling down?

The relationship between an elevator moving up and a bolt falling down is that both experiences involve the force of gravity. The elevator moves up due to the counteracting force of the elevator motor, while the bolt falls down due to the force of gravity pulling it towards the ground.

Why does the elevator move up while the bolt falls down?

The elevator moves up because it is being pulled up by the counteracting force of the elevator motor. The bolt falls down due to the force of gravity pulling it towards the ground.

Is there a difference in speed between the elevator moving up and the bolt falling down?

Yes, there is a difference in speed between the elevator moving up and the bolt falling down. This is because the elevator is counteracting the force of gravity, while the bolt is only experiencing the force of gravity pulling it downwards. Therefore, the elevator will move at a constant speed while the bolt will accelerate towards the ground.

How does the weight of the elevator and the bolt affect their movements?

The weight of the elevator and the bolt do not directly affect their movements as both objects are still subject to the force of gravity. However, the weight of the elevator can affect the amount of counteracting force needed to move it up, while the weight of the bolt can affect its acceleration towards the ground.

What other factors can affect the movements of the elevator and the bolt?

Other factors that can affect the movements of the elevator and the bolt include air resistance and friction. Air resistance can slow down the speed of the falling bolt, while friction can affect the smoothness of the elevator's movement. Additionally, external forces such as wind or turbulence can also affect the movements of both objects.