1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An excercise in graviation by misner, thorne and wheeler

1. Jul 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    My question is on problem 4.1 of Gravitation. In a generic case of electric field and magnetic field(i.e not $$E=0$$ or $$B=0$$ or $$E$$ and $$B$$ perpendicular), define the direction $$\hat{n}$$ unit vector ,

$$\hat{n}\tanh (2\alpha)=\frac{2\vec{E}\times\vec{B}}{\vec{E}^{2}+\vec{B}^2}$$

and $$\vec{\beta}=\tanh(\alpha)\hat{n}$$

is the velocity vector.

Show in the frame of the rocket with velocity $$\vec{\beta}$$, the Poynting vector vanishes.

2. Relevant equations

\begin{align}
    \bar{\vec{E_{\parallel}}}&=\vec{E_{\parallel}}, \\
    \bar{\vec{E_{\perp}}}&=\frac{\vec{E_{\perp}}+\vec{\beta}\times\vec{B_{\perp}}}{\sqrt{1-\beta^{2}}},\\
    \bar{\vec{B_{\parallel}}}&=\vec{B_{\parallel}}, \\
    \bar{\vec{B_{\perp}}}&=\frac{\vec{B_{\perp}}-\vec{\beta}\times\vec{E_{\perp}}}{\sqrt{1-\beta^{2}}}.
    \end{align}
    Note $$\beta\times X_{\perp}=\beta\times X$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried the following but I am stuck at the cancellation.

Let the $$\bar{\vec{E}}$$ and $$\bar{\vec{B}}$$ be the field in the rocket frame and the field without bars be the field of the rest frame. direction parallel along the velocity of rocket is denoted as subscript $$\parallel$$ and direction perpendicular to velocity of rocket direction is denoted by $$\perp$$ as the subscript.

By lorentz transformation.
    \begin{align}
    \bar{\vec{E_{\parallel}}}&=\vec{E_{\parallel}}, \\
    \bar{\vec{E_{\perp}}}&=\frac{\vec{E_{\perp}}+\vec{\beta}\times\vec{B_{\perp}}}{\sqrt{1-\beta^{2}}},\\
    \bar{\vec{B_{\parallel}}}&=\vec{B_{\parallel}}, \\
    \bar{\vec{B_{\perp}}}&=\frac{\vec{B_{\perp}}-\vec{\beta}\times\vec{E_{\perp}}}{\sqrt{1-\beta^{2}}}.
    \end{align}
    Note $\beta\times X_{\perp}$=$\beta\times X$

In barred frame,
    \begin{align}
    \bar{\vec{E}}\times\bar{\vec{B}}
    &=(\bar{\vec{E_{\perp}}}+\bar{\vec{E_{\parallel}}})\times(\bar{\vec{B_{\perp}}}+\bar{\vec{B_{\parallel}}})\\
    &=\bar{\vec{E_{\perp}}}\times\bar{\vec{B_{\parallel}}}+\bar{\vec{E_{\parallel}}}\times\bar{\vec{B_{\perp}}}.
    \end{align}
    Plug in the lorentz transformation. One gets

$$\frac{\vec{E}\times\vec{B}-\vec{E}_{\parallel}\times(\vec{\beta}\times\vec{E})-\vec{B}_{\parallel}\times(\vec{\beta}\times\vec{B})}{\sqrt{1-\beta^{2}}}.$$

Now the last two terms looks generically like $$\vec{X_{\parallel}}\times(\vec{\beta}\times\vec{X})$$ simplifies to $$\vec{X_{\perp}}(\vec{X}\cdot\vec{\beta})$$.

However, I could not see the cancellation at this stage any where. Did I do something wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, zasdzcc.

How are ##\vec{E}## and ##\vec{B}## (in the original frame) oriented relative to the boost direction ##\vec{\beta}##? What does that tell you about ##\vec{E}_{\parallel}## and ##\vec{B}_{\parallel}##?

EDIT: You can't assume that ##\bar{\vec{E_{\perp}}} \times \bar{\vec{B_{\perp}}} = 0##. That's something you need to show.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted