An exponential number algebra problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the relation between real numbers a, b, c, and n and how to find the expression (an-bn) in terms of C and n. The conversation also mentions the context of a resonator and how the resonance frequency changes with a force applied, with the goal of finding the change in resonance frequency as a function of change in length. The conversation also suggests taking logarithms to solve the problem.
Edge5
Let a,b,c and n are real numbers.a-b = C
I want to get rid of a,b and find the following expression in terms of C and n. How can I do that?
(an-bn)= ? (in terms of C and n)

Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can't.
Simple example: a=2, b=1 and a=1, b=0 both lead to C=1, but a2-b2 is different for the two cases.

You can rewrite an-bn to have a factor of (a-b) but you won't get rid of a and b completely.

What is the context of this question?

mfb said:
You can't.
Simple example: a=2, b=1 and a=1, b=0 both lead to C=1, but a2-b2 is different for the two cases.

You can rewrite an-bn to have a factor of (a-b) but you won't get rid of a and b completely.

What is the context of this question?

I have a resonator and the resonance frequency (w) of it is given by w=A(L-1.5) where A is a constant and L is the length. When I apply a force the resonance frequency changes because length of the beam changes due to deformation. I need to find the change in resonance frequency as a function of change in length.
That's why I said winitial = ALinitial-1.5
and ALfinal-1.5
Lfinal-Linitial = (Linitial.Ftensile)/(EAcrossection)
Where E is the young modulus and A is the area.
In my question a and b were Linitial and Lfinal
n was -1.5
C was (Linitial.Ftensile)/(EAcrossection)

Last edited:
So where are the ##a## and ##b## in your story ?

BvU said:
So where are the ##a## and ##b## in your story ?
In my question a and b were Linitial and Lfinal

So take logarithms ! $$\ln\omega = \ln A - 1.5\ln L$$

Likes Edge5
BvU said:
So take logarithms ! $$\ln\omega = \ln A - 1.5\ln L$$
I will try thanks

1. What is an exponential number algebra problem?

An exponential number algebra problem is a mathematical equation that involves variables raised to a power, also known as an exponent. These types of problems often require the use of logarithms to solve.

2. How do I solve an exponential number algebra problem?

To solve an exponential number algebra problem, you can use the properties of exponents and logarithms. First, simplify the equation by combining like terms. Then, use the power rule, product rule, and quotient rule to solve for the variable.

3. Can you give an example of an exponential number algebra problem?

One example of an exponential number algebra problem is 3x = 9. To solve this, you can use the logarithm property logb(xa) = alogb(x) to rewrite the equation as xlog3(3) = log3(9). Since log3(3) = 1, the equation simplifies to x = log3(9) = 2.

4. Are there any tips for solving exponential number algebra problems?

Yes, there are a few tips that can help with solving exponential number algebra problems. First, make sure to carefully read the problem and identify the base and exponent. Then, use the properties of exponents and logarithms to simplify the equation. It can also be helpful to check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation.

5. What real-life applications use exponential number algebra problems?

Exponential number algebra problems are commonly used in fields such as finance, biology, and physics. For example, compound interest in finance can be modeled using an exponential equation. In biology, population growth can also be described using exponential functions. In physics, radioactive decay can be modeled using an exponential equation.