1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An infinite sum of the Heaviside function

1. Mar 25, 2016 #1
    I'm not sure where to put this question. It is by itself pretty basic, but it's a preamble to a Laplace Transform exercise, and I'll probably want to ask some follow up questions once the current query is resolved.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Unit stair-case function: [itex]f(t) = n, \ if \ \ n-1 \leq t < n, \ \ n = 1,2,3,...[/itex]

Show that [itex]f(t) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} u(t-n) \ [/itex] for all [itex]t \geq 0[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I can see how as we move through the values of n, each unit step function will just be adding one, which just builds the stair-case, but after any given t is reached, won't that sum just keeping adding an infinite number of 1's to result?

Does the sum to infinity actually stop at some finite point because [itex]n-1 \leq t < n, \ \ n = 1,2,3,...[/itex]? Wouldn't that contradict the idea of having an infinite sum?

Or does the unit step function used in the sum drop down to zero after a certain n is reached? How would that work?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2016 #2
    The unit step function is zero if its argument is negative, and [itex]t - n[/itex] will eventually become negative for sufficiently large [itex]n[/itex].

4. Mar 26, 2016 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For each finite ##t## there will be only finitely many nonzero terms in the sum. For ##n > t## all the ##u(t-n)## are zero.

You cannot write the result for ALL ##t## as a single finite sum, since different ##t## need different numbers of terms.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted