1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Transform of Heaviside function

1. Mar 24, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the Fourier transform of [tex] H(x-a)e^{-bx}, [/tex] where H(x) is the Heaviside function.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex] \mathcal{F}[f(t)]=\frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} f(t) \cdot e^{-i \omega t} dt [/tex]
    Convolution theory equations that might be relevant:
    [tex] \mathcal{F}[f(t) \cdot g(t)] = \mathcal{F}[f(t)] * \mathcal{F}[g(t)] [/tex]
    [tex] \mathcal{F}[e^{\alpha t} \cdot f(t)] = \mathcal{F}[f(t+\alpha t)] [/tex]
    Derivative of the Heaviside function:
    [tex] H'(t) = \delta(t) [/tex]
    where [itex] \delta(t) [/itex] is the Dirac Delta function.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the first relevant equation, and assuming the Heaviside function simply changed the boundary conditions from a to infinity:
    [tex] \mathcal{F}[H(x-a)e^{-bx}]=\frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{a}^{\infty} e^{-bx} \cdot e^{-i \omega t} dt [/tex]
    [tex] = - \frac{1}{2 \pi} \left[\frac{i e^{-bx-i \omega t}}{\omega} \right]_{a}^{\infty} = - \frac{i e^{-bx-i \omega a}}{\sqrt{2\pi} \omega} [/tex]

This was not right so I tried to take the integral of the Heaviside function via integration by parts:
    [tex] \mathcal{F}[f(t)]=\frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{- \infty}^{\infty}H(x-a)e^{-bx-i \omega t} dt [/tex]
    [tex] =\frac{1}{2 \pi} \left[\frac{-H(x-a)ie^{-bx-i \omega t}}{\omega} \right]_{-\infty}^{\infty} - \int_{\infty}^{\infty} \delta(x-a)e^{-bx-i \omega t} [/tex]
    At this point I could go on with the integration however I'm unsure if it'll lead to the right answer or if what I'm doing makes sense. I have considered using the last equation in part of the convolution theory section, to get an integral of perhaps [itex] H(x-a-i \omega t) [/itex] but that doesn't seem right either.. I am unsure how to take the Fourier transformation of the Heaviside function, any help will be gladly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are mixing variables. Either use x or t, for this problem it is quite obvious that x is the variable and you need to set up your Fourier transform accordingly. (If it was in t, then your function would be a constant and the Heaviside would not change the integration domain.)

4. Mar 24, 2016 #3
    Would it then just be the integral from a to infinity of [itex] H(x-a)e^{-bx-i \omega x} dx [/itex] or the integral from a to infinity of [itex] e^{-bx-i \omega x} [/itex] ?

5. Mar 24, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Aren't these exactly the same thing?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted