• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Fourier Transform of Heaviside function

1. Homework Statement
Find the Fourier transform of [tex] H(x-a)e^{-bx}, [/tex] where H(x) is the Heaviside function.

2. Homework Equations
[tex] \mathcal{F}[f(t)]=\frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} f(t) \cdot e^{-i \omega t} dt [/tex]
Convolution theory equations that might be relevant:
[tex] \mathcal{F}[f(t) \cdot g(t)] = \mathcal{F}[f(t)] * \mathcal{F}[g(t)] [/tex]
[tex] \mathcal{F}[e^{\alpha t} \cdot f(t)] = \mathcal{F}[f(t+\alpha t)] [/tex]
Derivative of the Heaviside function:
[tex] H'(t) = \delta(t) [/tex]
where [itex] \delta(t) [/itex] is the Dirac Delta function.

3. The Attempt at a Solution
Using the first relevant equation, and assuming the Heaviside function simply changed the boundary conditions from a to infinity:
[tex] \mathcal{F}[H(x-a)e^{-bx}]=\frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{a}^{\infty} e^{-bx} \cdot e^{-i \omega t} dt [/tex]
[tex] = - \frac{1}{2 \pi} \left[\frac{i e^{-bx-i \omega t}}{\omega} \right]_{a}^{\infty} = - \frac{i e^{-bx-i \omega a}}{\sqrt{2\pi} \omega} [/tex]

This was not right so I tried to take the integral of the Heaviside function via integration by parts:
[tex] \mathcal{F}[f(t)]=\frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{- \infty}^{\infty}H(x-a)e^{-bx-i \omega t} dt [/tex]
[tex] =\frac{1}{2 \pi} \left[\frac{-H(x-a)ie^{-bx-i \omega t}}{\omega} \right]_{-\infty}^{\infty} - \int_{\infty}^{\infty} \delta(x-a)e^{-bx-i \omega t} [/tex]
At this point I could go on with the integration however I'm unsure if it'll lead to the right answer or if what I'm doing makes sense. I have considered using the last equation in part of the convolution theory section, to get an integral of perhaps [itex] H(x-a-i \omega t) [/itex] but that doesn't seem right either.. I am unsure how to take the Fourier transformation of the Heaviside function, any help will be gladly appreciated.

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
You are mixing variables. Either use x or t, for this problem it is quite obvious that x is the variable and you need to set up your Fourier transform accordingly. (If it was in t, then your function would be a constant and the Heaviside would not change the integration domain.)

Would it then just be the integral from a to infinity of [itex] H(x-a)e^{-bx-i \omega x} dx [/itex] or the integral from a to infinity of [itex] e^{-bx-i \omega x} [/itex] ?

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
Would it then just be the integral from a to infinity of [itex] H(x-a)e^{-bx-i \omega x} dx [/itex] or the integral from a to infinity of [itex] e^{-bx-i \omega x} [/itex] ?
Aren't these exactly the same thing?