An integral representation of the Riemann zeta function

In summary, the given representation for the Riemann zeta function is valid for all complex values of $s$ except $s=1$. It is similar to another integral and can be approached by integrating around a rectangular contour. The final result is $\zeta(s) = \frac{2^{s-1}}{1-2^{1-s}} \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\cos (s \arctan t)}{(1+t^{2})^{s/2} \cosh \left( \frac{\pi t}{2} \right)} \ dt $. Some special values of the zeta function can also be obtained from this representation, such as $\zeta(
polygamma
Show that $\displaystyle \zeta(s) = \frac{2^{s-1}}{1-2^{1-s}} \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\cos (s \arctan t)}{(1+t^{2})^{s/2} \cosh \left( \frac{\pi t}{2} \right)} \ dt $The cool thing about this representation is that it is valid for all complex values of $s$ excluding $s=1$.

This integral is similar to another integral I recently came across, so I knew immediately how to approach it.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm basically going to copy and paste the solution I posted on another forum.
[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\cos (s \arctan t)}{(1+t^{2})^{s/2} \cosh \left( \frac{\pi t}{2} \right)} \ dt[/tex]Let's add the restriction that [tex]\text{Re}(s)>1[/tex]. This can be removed at the end by analytic continuation.[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\cos (s \arctan t)}{(1+t^{2})^{s/2} \cosh \left( \frac{\pi t}{2} \right)} \ dt = \frac{1}{2} \ \text{Re} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(1-it)^{s} \cosh \left( \frac{\pi t}{2} \right)} \ dt[/tex]Let [tex]f(z) = \frac{1}{(1-iz)^{s} \cosh \left( \frac{\pi z}{2} \right)}[/tex] and integrate around a rectangle with vertices at [tex]z=N, z=N + 2Ni, z=-N + 2Ni[/tex] and [tex]z=N[/tex].Then [tex]\frac{1}{2} \ \text{Re} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(1-it)^{s} \cosh \left( \frac{\pi t}{2} \right)} \ dt = \text{Re} \ \pi i \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \text{Res} [f(z),i(2n+1)][/tex][tex]\text{Res} [f(z),i(2n+1)] = \lim_{z \to i(2n+1)} \frac{1}{-is(1-iz)^{s-1} \cosh \left( \frac{\pi z}{2} \right) + (1-iz)^{s} \frac{\pi}{2} \sinh \left( \frac{\pi z}{2} \right)} = \frac{2}{\pi} \frac{(-1)^{n}}{i} \frac{1}{(2+2n)^{s}}[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{2^{1-s}}{\pi} \frac{(-1)^{n}}{i} \frac{1}{(n+1)^{s}}[/tex][tex]\text{Re} \ \pi i \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \text{Res} [f(z),i(2n+1)] = 2^{1-s} \eta(s) = 2^{1-s} \Big( 1 - 2^{1-s} \Big) \zeta(s)[/tex]
So [tex]\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\cos (s \arctan t)}{(1+t^{2})^{s/2} \cosh \left( \frac{\pi t}{2} \right)} \ dt = 2^{1-s} \Big( 1 - 2^{1-s} \Big) \zeta(s)[/tex][tex]\implies \zeta(s) = \frac{2^{s-1}}{1-2^{1-s}} \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\cos (s \arctan t)}{(1+t^{2})^{s/2} \cosh \left( \frac{\pi t}{2} \right)} \ dt[/tex]
Notice that you get [tex]\zeta(0) = -\frac{1}{2} \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{\cosh \left( \frac{\pi t}{2} \right)} \ dt = -\frac{1}{2} (1) = -\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

And [tex]\zeta(-1) = -\frac{1}{12} \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\cos (\arctan t)}{(1+t^{2})^{-1/2} \cosh \left( \frac{\pi t}{2} \right)} \ dt = - \frac{1}{12} \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{\cosh \left( \frac{\pi t}{2} \right)} \ dt = - \frac{1}{12}[/tex]

1. What is the Riemann zeta function?

The Riemann zeta function is a mathematical function that was introduced by Bernhard Riemann in 1859. It is defined as the sum of the reciprocal of the powers of all positive integers, starting from 1. The Riemann zeta function is denoted by the Greek letter ζ.

2. What is an integral representation of the Riemann zeta function?

An integral representation of the Riemann zeta function is a mathematical expression that represents the zeta function as an integral (i.e. a mathematical function that calculates the area under a curve). This representation allows for the evaluation of the zeta function at any complex number, rather than just the positive integers as in the original definition.

3. How does the integral representation of the Riemann zeta function differ from the original definition?

The integral representation differs from the original definition in that it allows for the evaluation of the zeta function at any complex number, rather than just the positive integers. It also provides a more efficient and practical method for calculating the value of the zeta function.

4. What is the significance of the integral representation of the Riemann zeta function?

The significance of the integral representation lies in its use in various fields of mathematics, such as number theory, complex analysis, and physics. It allows for a deeper understanding of the properties and behavior of the zeta function, which has important implications in these fields.

5. Are there any limitations to the integral representation of the Riemann zeta function?

While the integral representation is a powerful tool for evaluating the zeta function, it does have its limitations. It cannot be used to calculate the value of the zeta function at certain points, such as the critical line where the real part of the input is equal to 1/2. Additionally, it may not be suitable for certain types of calculations, such as those that require high precision.