1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativity An Introduction to General Relativity by Hughston and Tod

1. Strongly Recommend

100.0%
  2. Lightly Recommend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Lightly don't Recommend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Strongly don't Recommend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jan 22, 2013 #1

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2013 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

I linked this one because for some reason I don't see it being mentioned more often. It is concise and manages to pack in a lot of problems that really develop your tensor calculus calculation skills in the setting of relativity and the later discussions on causality and cosmology are really cool but the book isn't as advanced as Wald or Carroll. The book is used for the course taught at Oxford to senior level applied mathematics majors but I'm sure physics majors can use it too (I'm a physics major and I like it mainly for the utility of the problems in making the calculations required in Wald etc. much more fluid to do and simply because these kind of tensor calculus problems are fun and this book has a ton of them whereas other standard GR books really don't other than MTW). It is awesome in a supplementary nature.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook