An Introduction to General Relativity by Hughston and Tod

In summary, "An Introduction to General Relativity" by L.P. Hughston and K.P. Tod is a concise and useful book for developing tensor calculus skills in the context of relativity. It covers interesting topics such as causality and cosmology and is used for a course at Oxford for senior level applied mathematics majors. While it may not be as advanced as other popular GR books, it offers a wealth of challenging problems and is a valuable supplementary resource.

For those who have used this book

• Lightly Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lightly don't Recommend

• Strongly don't Recommend

• Total voters
Physics news on Phys.org
I linked this one because for some reason I don't see it being mentioned more often. It is concise and manages to pack in a lot of problems that really develop your tensor calculus calculation skills in the setting of relativity and the later discussions on causality and cosmology are really cool but the book isn't as advanced as Wald or Carroll. The book is used for the course taught at Oxford to senior level applied mathematics majors but I'm sure physics majors can use it too (I'm a physics major and I like it mainly for the utility of the problems in making the calculations required in Wald etc. much more fluid to do and simply because these kind of tensor calculus problems are fun and this book has a ton of them whereas other standard GR books really don't other than MTW). It is awesome in a supplementary nature.

What is the main concept of General Relativity?

The main concept of General Relativity is that gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy. This theory provides a more complete understanding of the universe and has been confirmed through various experiments and observations.

Who are Hughston and Tod?

Hughston and Tod are British mathematicians who are well-known for their work in the field of General Relativity. They co-authored the book "An Introduction to General Relativity", which is considered a classic text on the subject.

Is this book suitable for beginners?

Yes, this book is suitable for beginners who have a basic understanding of calculus and physics. It provides a clear and concise introduction to the theory of General Relativity, making it accessible to those who are new to the subject.

What are some real-world applications of General Relativity?

General Relativity has many practical applications in modern technology, including GPS systems, which use Einstein's equations to account for the effects of gravity on satellite signals. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of black holes and the behavior of objects in extreme gravitational fields.

What makes General Relativity different from other theories of gravity?

General Relativity differs from other theories of gravity, such as Newton's theory of gravity, in that it takes into account the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy. It also provides a more complete and accurate understanding of gravity, as it has been tested and confirmed through various experiments and observations.