An Introduction to the Traditional Abacus of China and Japan - Comments

In summary: Yes, it was done like that; I can recall some of it. But visualising so many columns was (and still is) a difficult job for me. I can correctly visualise upto three columns on the abacus board currently; and anything more than that generally leads to an error. Maybe you can blame the calculator to some extent
YoungPhysicist
Insights Author
Greg Bernhardt submitted a new blog post

An Introduction to the Traditional Abacus of China and Japan
abacus_introduction.png

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Attachments

• abacus_introduction.png
    abacus_introduction.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 681
Likes brainpushups, StatGuy2000, Wrichik Basu and 2 others
Science news on Phys.org
Ya! My first insight! Can’t believe it!

Likes berkeman and Greg Bernhardt
Great job! Congratulations!

Likes YoungPhysicist
Nice first insight. Congratulations!

I learned abacus when I was of @YoungPhysicist's age. Though I have forgotten how to do the larger calculations (like 987×6598), while doing simple arithmetic, the technique of abacus now comes naturally. It was of great help in increasing concentration when I was learning.

Likes jedishrfu and YoungPhysicist
Wrichik Basu said:
Nice first insight. Congratulations!

I learned abacus when I was of @YoungPhysicist's age. Though I have forgotten how to do the larger calculations (like 987×6598), while doing simple arithmetic, the technique of abacus now comes naturally. It was of great help in increasing concentration when I was learning.
Yeah, It really does, and also a great advantge on tests and calculations to calculate quickly(though almost everyone classmate of mine also take abacus courses with me, so the edge is not that obvious.:rolleyes:

Likes Wrichik Basu
Wrichik Basu said:
(like 987×6598),
Well, we usually do that like the... ah, what is this method called in English?
Code:
      2 3
   x  4 6
   ----------
    1 3 8
    9 2
---------------
  1 0 5 8
(That looks a bit odd cause the spacing can't display properly after I submitted this post, I don't know why)
where we process it digit by digit, but from the left to the right, unlike the method I shown above, which is right to the left.
thus your peoblem will be done in 12 steps:
  1. 9x6
  2. 9x5
  3. 9x8
  4. 9x9
  5. 8x6
  6. 8x5
  7. 8x8
  8. 8x9
  9. 7x6
  10. 7x5
  11. 7x8
  12. 7x9
Just make sure the calculations are placed on the right column.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Wrichik Basu
I fixed the spacing using code tags which preserve the leading spaces and uses a mono spaced font.

YoungPhysicist said:
Well, we usually do that like the... ah, what is this method called in English?
Code:
      2 3
   x  4 6
   ----------
    1 3 8
    9 2
---------------
  1 0 5 8
(That looks a bit odd cause the spacing can't display properly after I submitted this post, I don't know why)
where we process it digit by digit, but from the left to the right, unlike the method I shown above, which is right to the left.
thus your peoblem will be done in 12 steps:
  1. 9x6
  2. 9x5
  3. 9x8
  4. 9x9
  5. 8x6
  6. 8x5
  7. 8x8
  8. 8x9
  9. 7x6
  10. 7x5
  11. 7x8
  12. 7x9
Just make sure the calculations are placed on the right column.
Yes, it was done like that; I can recall some of it. But visualising so many columns was (and still is) a difficult job for me. I can correctly visualise upto three columns on the abacus board currently; and anything more than that generally leads to an error. Maybe you can blame the calculator to some extent :wink:

Likes YoungPhysicist

1. What is an abacus?

An abacus is a counting tool that has been used for centuries in China and Japan for performing mathematical calculations. It consists of a wooden frame with wires or rods holding beads that are used for counting.

2. What is the history of the traditional abacus in China and Japan?

The use of abacus in China and Japan can be traced back to ancient times, with the earliest evidence dating back to the 2nd century BC. It was widely used by merchants and traders for keeping track of their finances before the invention of modern calculators.

3. How does the traditional abacus work?

The traditional abacus works by sliding beads along the rods to represent numbers. The beads on the upper part of the frame represent the number 5, while the beads on the lower part represent 1. By moving the beads and performing certain techniques, users can perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

4. What are the benefits of using the traditional abacus?

Using the traditional abacus can help improve mental math skills, as it requires users to visualize and manipulate numbers in their minds. It also promotes hand-eye coordination and concentration. Additionally, it is a useful tool for teaching children basic math concepts.

5. Is the traditional abacus still used today?

Yes, the traditional abacus is still used in some parts of China and Japan, especially in schools and for cultural purposes. However, with the advancement of technology, it has been largely replaced by modern calculators and computers for everyday use.