Inventions and Inventors Quiz - Comments

Answers and Replies

I protest against Edison. IMO Bouly (patent 1892, acc. 1893) resp. the Lumières (1894, renewed Bouly's patent, demo 1895) were first, maybe Anschütz (1885, 1894) or Reynaud (1892), but not Edison (1894).

(I looked up the dates on Wikipedia after I remembered a documentary which said "Lumière". I'm a bit biased by Bell who often is called the inventor of the telephone, which is also wrong. He was first to bring it to market, but not the first who discovered it. The word "cinema" goes back to the Lumières who called their apparatus based on Bouly's patent "cinématographe".)

Last edited:
Likes dextercioby and Greg Bernhardt
Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Where's the score?

Something appears to be broken. Anyone not getting a score when you press submit?

Something appears to be broken. Anyone not getting a score when you press submit?
Maybe I'm the one to blame. If so, then I discovered a bug. I think I had been first who entered the quiz, ran shortly over it, and then wanted to know the results without doing the quiz and hit "submit" on an empty list. As a result, the first question had vanished, so I had to refresh to get it back.

Now I wanted to test it. And each time I hit "submit", this time with a filled out formula, again the first question on the lists vanishes. I stopped the procedure after I "killed" the first 4 questions. So my suspicion is, that something with the submit button is wrong. The underlying code seems to delete the first list entry instead of an evaluation. Perhaps a fix is to remove it and set it again, if that is possible.

Sorry, uhm no sorry for that: I'm too curious. I continued and "killed" the rest of the questions until there was an empty sheet. Then I hit "submit" again, and ever since the page has gone in state "loading" - which it can't since all list entries have gone. Funny bug.

ChemAir
Gold Member
No score here.

Each time I hit submit, the top question disappears.

Hit submit once, then #2 is the top, Two submits, then #3 is the top...

There is an issue with the AJAX submission. I have reverted to POST and it works again. Enjoy! Post those scores!

Last edited:
There is an issue with the AJAX submission thread. I have reverted to POST and it works again. Enjoy! Post those scores!
I hate AJAX. It's a nightmare to debug and update ...
Not my thread. I'll probably get zero points. Wait ...

... 6 but almost 7.

Likes dextercioby
Ygggdrasil
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
The quiz's header graphic is not visible on a mobile browser, making the last question difficult for mobile users.

Header graphic is not visible. I see this with desktop view enabled in chrome android:
I added the image to the question, good luck!

Likes Wrichik Basu
DrClaude
Mentor
7/13
Damn you @Greg Bernhardt for the last question. Didn't think it could be a joke :H

Likes fresh_42 and Greg Bernhardt
Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Five, although I thought I'd pressed the right answer for the remote control and the results say otherwise (probably fat-fingering on my part).

Missing option for #6: Aircraft Carrier. :wink:

TeethWhitener
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Question 12 says "Since June 2018, the US Patent Office has issued… patents." The answer is given as 10 million. Seeing as how the 10 millionth patent was granted in June 2018 (228 years after the first patent was granted), I seriously doubt another 10 million have been granted in the last 5 months. Did the question mean "As of June 2018...?"

Question 12 says "Since June 2018, the US Patent Office has issued… patents." The answer is given as 10 million. Seeing as how the 10 millionth patent was granted in June 2018 (228 years after the first patent was granted), I seriously doubt another 10 million have been granted in the last 5 months. Did the question mean "As of June 2018...?"
Yes I will correct, thanks!

Matterwave
Science Advisor
Gold Member
6 points

QuantumQuest
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
8 points out of 13 - well, a little bit of luck was there once again :wink:

15%, of which half was just luck, the other common knowledge lol

am in accounting and of course dates and ranges of are "important", I understand "as of" to mean the same as "since", I get what is meant, but if i interpret it literally

As at June 2018 the US Patent Office had issued

jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
7 of 13. I disagree with Watt as the inventor of the steam engine, but on a multiple-choice format, the choice was clear.

Likes NTL2009
C Butts
I invented the ejection seat for helicopters. Can't find a backer!

anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
I protest against Edison. IMO Bouly (patent 1892, acc. 1893) resp. the Lumières (1894, renewed Bouly's patent, demo 1895) were first, maybe Anschütz (1885, 1894) or Reynaud (1892), but not Edison (1894).
Are you sure? I used Wikipedia also, and I find 1891.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Edison#Motion_pictures said:
Edison was also granted a patent for the motion picture camera or "Kinetograph". He did the electromechanical design while his employee W. K. L. Dickson, a photographer, worked on the photographic and optical development. Much of the credit for the invention belongs to Dickson.[43] In 1891, Thomas Edison built a Kinetoscope or peep-hole viewer. This device was installed in penny arcades, where people could watch short, simple films. The kinetograph and kinetoscope were both first publicly exhibited May 20, 1891.[79]
Edison's patent on the kinetoscope was granted in 1897 with "Application filed August 24, 1891. Serial No. 403,534. "

I also found this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinematograph#Invention said:
Louis Lumière worked with his brother Auguste to create a motion-picture camera superior to Thomas Edison's kinetograph, which did not have a projector. The Lumières endeavored to correct the flaws they perceived in the kinetograph and the kinetoscope, to develop a machine with both sharper images and better illumination.
Poor Edison. In his later years, he spent much of his fortune defending his 1093 US patents , and 1239 patents in other countries. Those numbers are exceeded only by the number of denials of Edison's precedence, and claims that Edison "stole" other people's ideas. He seldom lost in court, but he also seldom succeeded in collecting royalties in Europe. That entire period in the history of patents sounds chaotic and anarchistic.