Insights Inventions and Inventors Quiz - Comments

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
I protest against Edison. IMO Bouly (patent 1892, acc. 1893) resp. the Lumières (1894, renewed Bouly's patent, demo 1895) were first, maybe Anschütz (1885, 1894) or Reynaud (1892), but not Edison (1894).

(I looked up the dates on Wikipedia after I remembered a documentary which said "Lumière". I'm a bit biased by Bell who often is called the inventor of the telephone, which is also wrong. He was first to bring it to market, but not the first who discovered it. The word "cinema" goes back to the Lumières who called their apparatus based on Bouly's patent "cinématographe".)

Last edited:

Bystander

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Where's the score?

Something appears to be broken. Anyone not getting a score when you press submit?

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Something appears to be broken. Anyone not getting a score when you press submit?
Maybe I'm the one to blame. If so, then I discovered a bug. I think I had been first who entered the quiz, ran shortly over it, and then wanted to know the results without doing the quiz and hit "submit" on an empty list. As a result, the first question had vanished, so I had to refresh to get it back.

Now I wanted to test it. And each time I hit "submit", this time with a filled out formula, again the first question on the lists vanishes. I stopped the procedure after I "killed" the first 4 questions. So my suspicion is, that something with the submit button is wrong. The underlying code seems to delete the first list entry instead of an evaluation. Perhaps a fix is to remove it and set it again, if that is possible.

Sorry, uhm no sorry for that: I'm too curious. I continued and "killed" the rest of the questions until there was an empty sheet. Then I hit "submit" again, and ever since the page has gone in state "loading" - which it can't since all list entries have gone. Funny bug.

ChemAir

Gold Member
No score here.

Each time I hit submit, the top question disappears.

Hit submit once, then #2 is the top, Two submits, then #3 is the top...

There is an issue with the AJAX submission. I have reverted to POST and it works again. Enjoy! Post those scores!

Last edited:

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
There is an issue with the AJAX submission thread. I have reverted to POST and it works again. Enjoy! Post those scores!
I hate AJAX. It's a nightmare to debug and update ...
Not my thread. I'll probably get zero points. Wait ...

... 6 but almost 7.

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
The quiz's header graphic is not visible on a mobile browser, making the last question difficult for mobile users.

Wrichik Basu

Gold Member
2018 Award
Header graphic is not visible. I see this with desktop view enabled in chrome android:

Screenshot_20181106-135924.png

Attachments

Ibix

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Five, although I thought I'd pressed the right answer for the remote control and the results say otherwise (probably fat-fingering on my part).

Missing option for #6: Aircraft Carrier. :wink:

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Question 12 says "Since June 2018, the US Patent Office has issued… patents." The answer is given as 10 million. Seeing as how the 10 millionth patent was granted in June 2018 (228 years after the first patent was granted), I seriously doubt another 10 million have been granted in the last 5 months. Did the question mean "As of June 2018...?"

Question 12 says "Since June 2018, the US Patent Office has issued… patents." The answer is given as 10 million. Seeing as how the 10 millionth patent was granted in June 2018 (228 years after the first patent was granted), I seriously doubt another 10 million have been granted in the last 5 months. Did the question mean "As of June 2018...?"
Yes I will correct, thanks!

Matterwave

Science Advisor
Gold Member
6 points

QuantumQuest

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
8 points out of 13 - well, a little bit of luck was there once again :wink: