Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An intuitive meaning to the phase constant k?

1. Aug 6, 2013 #1
    k being the one from the harmonic wave ψ(x,t) = Asin(kx - ωt) where k = 2π/λ

The way I see it right now, k is just defined this way to get the period of sin(x) to be λ by using sin(kx), so I wondered if there's something more to it. (Though I know it can be used as an vector to declare the direction of the wave.)

I played with the trig stuff a bit. I know that a harmonic wave can be traced by a point in a circular motion. sin(x) traces the circle with a period of 2π so I take that to be a circle with 2π circumference and radius 1. Doing the same with sin(kx) gets a circle with λ circumference and radius 1/k.

So k seems to be related to 1/r or the curvature? I found it interesting too that if I directly substitute k with 1/r, the ω in ω = v/r from mechanics can be found with the ω in ω = kv from waves.

Is there some insight to take away from this?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Aug 6, 2013 #3
    From that wiki, I like the phrase "spatial frequency". Thats how I internalize it. Its the spatial version of time's "omega" (angular frequency).

5. Aug 7, 2013 #4

Philip Wood

Gold Member

The radius and circumference of the 'generating' circle for sinusoids aren't related to either [itex]\omega[/itex], or its spatial analogue, k. The circle radius gives the amplitude of the sinusoid.

I don't think you're going to get a much better intuitive feel for k than what I've just mentioned: it's the spatial analogue of [itex]\omega[/itex]. But there's rather a neat extension to the idea when you deal with waves propagating in 3 dimensions. We then define a vector, [itex]\vec{k}[/itex], having a magnitude, k, equal to [itex]\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}[/itex] and direction that of the direction of wave propagation. This enables neat mathematical handling of wave propagation equations. For example, the displacement, y, at any point in the path of a plane sinusoidal wave may be written as
    [tex]y =y_0 sin [\omega t - \vec{k}.\vec{r} + \epsilon].[/tex]

6. Aug 7, 2013 #5
    For the OP.
    To understand the meaning of k: fix the time t, as if you made a photo of the experiment and see what happens mathematically varying the point x of the space (you can fix t = 0).
    To understand the meaning of ω: fix a point x of the space (you can choose x = 0) and see what happens varying the time.

You then understand why, as someone has already written, k can be called "spatial frequency" and ω can be called "temporal frequency".

--
    lightarrow

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook