Understanding the Role of k in the Wavefunction of Quantum Systems

In summary: Yep, although it might be better to think of ##\Psi(x,t)## as the wavefunction of some physical system (not a "new" wavefunction) and the integral is a way of rewriting it in a more computationally tractable form, a sum of momentum eigenfunctions.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am reading a textbook quantum physics by stephen gasiorowicz. And he defines a wavefunction in this form,

$$Ψ(x,t)=\int_{-∞}^{∞}A(k)e^{i:(kx-ωt)}dk$$

I did not understand why its a function of ##k## or why even we are taking integral with respect to ##k## ? Is ##k## actually means momentum somehow ? Or what's the importance of ##k## since we the wavefunction is actually a function of ##x## and ##t##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:
I am reading a textbook quantum physics by stephen gasiorowicz. And he defines a wavefunction in this form,

$$Ψ(x,t)=\int_{-∞}^{∞}A(k)e^{i:(kx-ωt)}dk$$

I did not understand why its a function of ##k## or why even we are taking integral with respect to ##k## ? Is ##k## actually means momentum somehow ? Or what's the importance of ##k## since we the wavefunction is actually a function of ##x## and ##t##.

It's not a function of ##k##. ##k## is a dummy variable over which the integration is done.

The set of functions ##e^{i(kx - wt)}##, ##k \in \mathbb{R}##, is an uncountable (or continuous) basis for the space of wavefunctions.

Mathematically you integrate over a "density" function ##A(k)##, which essentially gives you the weighing for each eigenfunction in your expansion.

You should compare what you have with the discrete case:
$$\Psi(x, t) = \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}A_n f_n(x, t)$$
Your equation is the continuous version of this.

The comparison is: sum over ##n## (discrete case) against integral over ##k## (continuous case).

Last edited:
##k## is not a wavenumber right ? I understand what you said I guess but its still confusing for me somehow

Arman777 said:
##k## is not a wavenumber right ? I understand what you said I guess but its still confusing for me somehow

##k## represents the momentum for that particular eigenfunction. Whether you also want to call that a wavenumber? I would go with the terminology in your book.

I think it isn't that easy to grasp. The important thing is that physically you always have a range of ##k##, hence a wave-packet.

I agree that it is not easy. I am watching some MIT videos to understand it. And later on I ll get back to you

I guess I understand it. Its the adding the all possible wavefunctions in momentum space and getting some new wavefunction.

Arman777 said:
I guess I understand it. Its the adding the all possible wavefunctions in momentum space and getting some new wavefunction.
Yep, although it might be better to think of ##\Psi(x,t)## as the wavefunction of some physical system (not a "new" wavefunction) and the integral is a way of rewriting it in a more computationally tractable form, a sum of momentum eigenfunctions.

Likes Arman777

1. What is a wavefunction in terms of k?

A wavefunction in terms of k is a mathematical representation of a particle's state in quantum mechanics. It describes the probability amplitude of finding the particle at a particular position and time.

2. How is the wavefunction related to the momentum of a particle?

The wavefunction is related to the momentum of a particle through the wavevector, k. The magnitude of the wavevector is proportional to the momentum of the particle, and the direction of the wavevector is related to the direction of the momentum.

3. What is the significance of the wavevector, k, in quantum mechanics?

The wavevector, k, is significant in quantum mechanics because it represents the spatial frequency of a particle. It is a fundamental quantity that is used to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

4. How is the wavefunction in terms of k different from the wavefunction in terms of position?

The wavefunction in terms of k and the wavefunction in terms of position are different mathematical representations of the same physical system. The wavefunction in terms of k describes the particle's state in terms of momentum, while the wavefunction in terms of position describes the particle's state in terms of its position in space.

5. Can the wavefunction in terms of k be visualized?

No, the wavefunction in terms of k cannot be visualized in the same way that the wavefunction in terms of position can be visualized. This is because the wavefunction in terms of k represents the particle's state in momentum space, which is not directly observable. It can only be described mathematically.