An object is undergoing simple harmonic motion

In summary, the object is undergoing simple harmonic motion with a period of 1.190 and amplitude of 0.640. At t = 0, the object is at x = 0. Using the formula x = Acos(ωt + ∅), we can calculate that ∅ should be 0. Therefore, at time 0.475, the object is 0.379 units away from the equilibrium position.
Mdhiggenz

Homework Statement

An object is undergoing simple harmonic motion with period 1.190 and amplitude 0.640

At t=0 the object is at x=0 . How far is the object from the equilibrium position at time 0.475 ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

x=Acos(ωt+∅)

x= 0.640cos(2∏/1.190*.475)=.639

The answer however is .379

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you

- higgenz

Physics news on Phys.org
Mdhiggenz said:
x=Acos(ωt+∅)

At t = 0, x = 0. What should the value of ∅ be?

You'd be better off modelling the motion as x = Asin(ωt)

Can you explain why you would use sin?

Mdhiggenz said:
Can you explain why you would use sin?

You're told that at t = 0, x = 0. Sketch the curves of x = Asin(ωt) and x = Acos(ωt) with t representing the horizontal axis and x, the vertical. Which of them passes through the origin (0,0)?

It's OK to use the phase-shifted cosine function x = Acos(ωt + ∅) as long as you calculate the value of the phase shift ∅. But you didn't.

I was a bit confused on how to calculate ∅

I know the formula for ∅ is arctan(-vox/ωxo)

But isn't the initial velocity zero which would make it ∅= to 0 ?

Mdhiggenz said:
I was a bit confused on how to calculate ∅

I know the formula for ∅ is arctan(-vox/ωxo)

But isn't the initial velocity zero which would make it ∅= to 0 ?

Don't get tied up in formulas you memorise. You must clearly understand the derivation of each formula you use, otherwise you'll use them in the wrong context.

Go back to what you wrote. x = Acos(ωt + ∅).

Now put t = 0 and x = 0 to get 0 = Acos(∅). So what should ∅ be?

Use this value of ∅ and try to rework your answer. You'll get a negative value, but it doesn't matter - they just want the numerical magnitude.

Excellent I got the answer than way as well. I appreciate you helping me out, and teaching me an alternative method!

Higgenz

Mdhiggenz said:
Excellent I got the answer than way as well. I appreciate you helping me out, and teaching me an alternative method!

Higgenz

You're welcome. :smile:

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point, with a constant amplitude and period. It occurs when there is a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

2. What are some examples of objects undergoing simple harmonic motion?

Some examples of objects undergoing simple harmonic motion include a pendulum, a mass attached to a spring, and a tuning fork.

3. What is the equation for simple harmonic motion?

The equation for simple harmonic motion is x = A sin(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement of the object, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

4. How does the amplitude affect simple harmonic motion?

The amplitude of an object undergoing simple harmonic motion determines the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position. A larger amplitude means a larger displacement, while a smaller amplitude means a smaller displacement.

5. What factors affect the period of simple harmonic motion?

The period of simple harmonic motion is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant (for spring systems), and the length of the pendulum (for pendulum systems). The period is directly proportional to the square root of the mass and inversely proportional to the square root of the spring constant or the length of the pendulum.