Zero Amplitude Damped Simple Harmonic Motion with k=0.7s^-1 and f=3Hz

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Timburton91
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
Damped Simple Harmonic Motion
Relevant Equations
x(t)=e^-kt cos(2πft)
Hi guys sorry if this is the wrong thread,
I have a damped simple harmonic motion pictured below, i have to find the inerval t=0 and t=1 for which the amplitude of x(t) is considered to be zero.

The behaviour of the graph below can be described as e^-kt cos(2πft)

k=0.7s^-1 and f= 3Hz
IMG_20200315_180120147.jpg
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really understand the question, what makes more sense to me is to compute the values ##t_0## and ##t_1## that are the two smallest positive solutions to the equation $$x(t)=0$$ is this your question?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PeroK
Not really man, as, i guessed that would be zero.
Gaussian97 said:
I don't really understand the question, what makes more sense to me is to compute the values ##t_0## and ##t_1## that are the two smallest positive solutions to the equation $$x(t)=0$$ is this your question?
 
Timburton91 said:
Not really man, as, i guessed that would be zero.
What do you think the question is asking?
 
Timburton91 said:
Not really man, as, i guessed that would be zero.
Then, could you please explain to me what is exactly the question? I'm sorry, but I don't understand the question you post in #1.
 
The use of "amplitude " in the question may be misleading. In terms of the expression ##e^{-kt}\cos(2\pi ft)##, the amplitude is ##e^{-kt}##. This is never actually zero. I suggest the intended question is to find when the displacement x(t) is zero.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: etotheipi