Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An SD card ejection problem -- Why is svchost.exe using the card?

1. Jan 5, 2017 #1
    I try to eject my sd card in my PC but I take this notification. How can I reject it? Why is svchost.exe using the card?

svchost.exe.png

Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2017 #2

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It could be your virus scanner not letting you eject because it's checking the card.

4. Jan 5, 2017 #3
    It is AVG and I disabled it for 10 minutes. But the problem is on-going. How can I close svchost.exe?

Thank you.

5. Jan 5, 2017 #4

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You could close it through the Task Manager but I would just log off if you want it to let go.

6. Jan 6, 2017 #5

rbelli1

Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  7. Jan 6, 2017 #6
    You can usually safely kill svchost in your task manager. If it's just AVG then go right ahead.

@Borg, svchost is often not a user process but a root one, so logging off won't necessarily kill it. User processes get pushed into it, they don't always get cleaned up, especially for a background process like a virus scanner.

8. Jan 7, 2017 #7

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I understand. However, I have found it usually works to get the offending process to let go of a file or directory. If it doesn't, then the OP could shut down and safely remove it at that point of course.

9. Jan 8, 2017 #8
    How can I log off? When I use ctrl+alt+delete, log off option is not shown in the screen? And I cannot end tasks about AVG by using task manager because it says "access is denied."

Thank you.

10. Jan 8, 2017 #9

rbelli1

Gold Member

Sign out?

BoB

11. Jan 8, 2017 #10

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't have any experience with AVG but it sounds as if you need to tell it not to be so aggressive with checking files. I'm assuming that you have admin access to the machine.

12. Jan 8, 2017 #11

OCR

You mean this ?

upload_2017-1-8_11-10-51.png

13. Jan 8, 2017 #12

OCR

Or this ?...

upload_2017-1-8_11-17-7.png

14. Jan 8, 2017 #13
    Well, I do not know but it is not related to log off from this site, and it is an advice to log off windows.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted