An SD card ejection problem -- Why is svchost.exe using the card?

• Thread starter mech-eng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    sd
In summary: Well, I do not know but it is not related to log off from this site, and it is an advice to log off windows.
mech-eng
I try to eject my sd card in my PC but I take this notification. How can I reject it? Why is svchost.exe using the card?

svchost.exe.png

Thank you.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
It could be your virus scanner not letting you eject because it's checking the card.

Borg said:
It could be your virus scanner not letting you eject because it's checking the card.

It is AVG and I disabled it for 10 minutes. But the problem is on-going. How can I close svchost.exe?

Thank you.

You could close it through the Task Manager but I would just log off if you want it to let go.

Likes berkeman
You can usually safely kill svchost in your task manager. If it's just AVG then go right ahead.

@Borg, svchost is often not a user process but a root one, so logging off won't necessarily kill it. User processes get pushed into it, they don't always get cleaned up, especially for a background process like a virus scanner.

newjerseyrunner said:
@Borg, svchost is often not a user process but a root one, so logging off won't necessarily kill it. User processes get pushed into it, they don't always get cleaned up, especially for a background process like a virus scanner.
I understand. However, I have found it usually works to get the offending process to let go of a file or directory. If it doesn't, then the OP could shut down and safely remove it at that point of course.

Borg said:
You could close it through the Task Manager but I would just log off if you want it to let go.

How can I log off? When I use ctrl+alt+delete, log off option is not shown in the screen? And I cannot end tasks about AVG by using task manager because it says "access is denied."

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
log off option is not shown in the screen

Sign out?

BoB

mech-eng said:
How can I log off? When I use ctrl+alt+delete, log off option is not shown in the screen? And I cannot end tasks about AVG by using task manager because it says "access is denied."

Thank you.
I don't have any experience with AVG but it sounds as if you need to tell it not to be so aggressive with checking files. I'm assuming that you have admin access to the machine.

mech-eng said:
How can I log off?
You mean this ?

upload_2017-1-8_11-10-51.png

Or this ?...

upload_2017-1-8_11-17-7.png

OCR said:
Or this ?...

Well, I do not know but it is not related to log off from this site, and it is an advice to log off windows.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an SD card ejection problem?

An SD card ejection problem refers to an issue where a user is unable to remove an SD card from their device. This can be caused by a variety of factors, such as a malfunctioning card reader or software conflicts.

2. How does svchost.exe relate to the SD card ejection problem?

Svchost.exe is a Windows system process that helps manage various services on a computer. In some cases, it may be the cause of the SD card ejection problem if it is consuming a large amount of system resources.

3. Can I fix the SD card ejection problem myself?

Depending on the cause of the problem, it may be possible to fix it yourself. If the issue is related to svchost.exe, you can try restarting your computer or using a third-party software to manage the process. However, if the problem is with the hardware, it is best to seek professional help.

4. How can I prevent the SD card ejection problem from happening again?

To prevent the SD card ejection problem, make sure to properly eject the card from your device before physically removing it. This will ensure that all data has been written to the card and prevent potential data loss. Additionally, keeping your software and drivers up to date can also help prevent future issues.

5. Can a virus cause the SD card ejection problem?

Yes, a virus or malware infection can potentially cause the SD card ejection problem. It is important to regularly scan your computer for viruses and malware and use reputable antivirus software to prevent these types of issues.