How can I fix a corrupted SD card and restore my files?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mech-eng
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    sd
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 3K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Windows cannot identify the disk. Right clicking gives 0 bytes and 0 bytes for for used and free spaces. The only alternative seems to be a live cd.

Checking command gives Unable to determine volume version and state. CHKDSK aborted.
 
I tried 4 different live cd. They were very old versions and only Open Suse 11.3 (i586) and Linux 2.6.34-12-default i686, KDE 4.4.4 (release 2) could work. But unfortunately I cannot see that corrupted sd card there. Does trying one of the newest versions work?
 
Windows sees the file system as RAW. With this file system, what are the recovery options?

Thank you.
 
jedishrfu said:
Try knoppix it’s Linux but with tools to help you fix windows filesystems or extract files from them.

Do you mean with a Knoppix live CD/USB I can access or enter into the disk with RAW file system so that I can copy all files and folders into another disk? It would be great.

Thank you.
 
You need to check this. These utilities aren't magic. Sometimes you just can't get back the files that's why we always back up our files on multiple media and stored in multiple places unless you don't care about file recovery ie files that are easily regenerated or gotten from the internet.
 
mech-eng said:
Do you mean with a Knoppix live CD/USB I can access or enter into the disk with RAW file system so that I can copy all files and folders into another disk? It would be great.

Thank you.

I’ve used it to recover files on a drive I could no longer boot from which means the boot sector was corrupted. For other kinds of corruptions it depends on what got corrupted. It’s not magic. There are tools that can read at the raw sector level where you might recover parts of files from you can reconstruct the file like a lost program to save on retyping it. It wouldn’t be much help with binary files like jpgs or video or executable files.