Where to find app data on SD card (Android)?

In summary: If you are having trouble with your phone, you may want to consider rooting it. Rooting is required to access hidden files on Android device.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
In my phone, a large number of apps have been moved to sd card.

Where do I find the app data if I view the sd card via windows explorer?

The reason I want this is, my phone is creating a lot of problems, and tomorrow I'm taking it to the service centre. They might want to factory reset the device. If they do so, I'll ask them to remove the sd card before doing it. Now, in this process, the app data will continue to take up space on sd card, and I need to manually delete it from Windows Explorer.

Computer science news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
This article may help if not you can search for related ones via Android directory structure.

Also it helps if you navigate it yourself be before you bring it to the shop.

https://www.androidauthority.com/phone-storage-folders-explained-744100/
Checked that. I won't access the interiors of phone storage, because that would need rooting and rooting voids guarantee.

The app data are all stored in Android folder in sd card, as per the article. That is what I needed.

Thanks for the help.

Who said accessing the interiors of phone storage voids the warranty? I've never heard of that. Maybe they are just trying to scare you.

If you turn on developer mode then you can access things like that. We've done it to install apps for student projects using the Android Studio and side loading your apps to the device.

Likes russ_watters
jedishrfu said:
Who said accessing the interiors of phone storage voids the warranty? I've never heard of that. Maybe they are just trying to scare you.
That's what I've read on most sites explaining how to root the phone. Samsung executive says the same.

Maybe they are scaring me. But I have to abide by their rules, because if they deny to service my phone after rooting, I'll be in trouble. If they give me back my phone saying it's gone, I'll surely root it and try some hacks.

jedishrfu said:

If you turn on developer mode then you can access things like that. We've done it to install apps for student projects using the Android Studio and side loading your apps to the device.
Maybe it does not voided when open, but, aren't you setting up for trouble unless you really know what you are doing? I mean, won't some applications be able to access some things you don't want them to unless you specifically prevent it? EDIT: I was trying to find out the actual texts and how/where they are stored (.xml, in a database) and was told I may brick my phone if I am not careful).

Android is based on Linux. It’s basically a pared down version of Linux with unnecessary commands, libraries and other files removed. The file system should look familiar to you if you’ve used Linux for development.

There are apps that can show you the file system and even allow to install, move, copy or delete files. Some will allow you to look at files too. There are still Linux file permissions to deal with meaning some files may not be looked or manipulated without having the proper permissions.

Here’s more on them:

http://www.stevesandroidguide.com/android-files/

Likes WWGD
WWGD said:
Maybe it does not voided when open, but, aren't you setting up for trouble unless you really know what you are doing? I mean, won't some applications be able to access some things you don't want them to unless you specifically prevent it?
jedishrfu said:
Android is based on Linux. It’s basically a pared down version of Linux with unnecessary commands, libraries and other files removed. The file system should look familiar to you if you’ve used Linux for development.

There are apps that can show you the file system and even allow to install, move, copy or delete files. Some will allow you to look at files too. There are still Linux file permissions to deal with meaning some files may not be looked or manipulated without having the proper permissions.

Here’s more on them:

http://www.stevesandroidguide.com/android-files/
I have been using Root Explorer , not too helpful. I think I will remove it and get another one.

Rooting is required to access hidden files on Android device.

nevpossi said:
It somehow fixed itself. Still, how to do I root when I only have access to command line? Or do you mean I need to have it rooted to be able to do this when it crashes? Because I don't see anything other within the recovery menu: I can just select from within a few options like rebooting and viewing logs.

nevpossi said:
Is there a sort of event viewer within Android, and, if so, is it a hidden file? I think the app root explorer gives you access to a lot of these files, but I don't know if you have to root/jailbreak your phone to use it.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=root+explorer+for+android&t=h_&ia=web

Maybe I can find out what led to the crash.
EDIT: Yes, it seems you need to root your phone to use Root Explorer. I have a phone I think I can try it on.
I need to learn a bit more before trying Root Explorer, to not leave myself too open.

Last edited:
I use Solid Explorer. Only issue is there is no recycle bin.

CWatters said:
I use Solid Explorer. Only issue is there is no recycle bin.
Is that the actual name, Solid Explorer? My Root Explorer requires that I root the HD. Does Solid also require it?

I think I missunderstood what you wanted to do. I've not tried putting apps on an SD card and then deleting them with Solid Explorer. I suspect it also needs rooting.

Can't you backup what you want from the SD card and then format it?

1. Where is the default location of app data on an SD card?

The default location for app data on an SD card can vary depending on the device and Android version. However, it is usually located in the "Android" folder on the root directory of the SD card.

2. How can I access app data on an SD card?

To access app data on an SD card, you can use a file manager app or connect your device to a computer and browse the SD card's contents. You may also need to enable the "Show hidden files" option in your file manager to view the app data folder.

3. Can I move app data from internal storage to an SD card?

Yes, you can move app data from internal storage to an SD card. To do this, go to your device's Settings, then Apps or Applications, select the app you want to move, and tap on the "Move to SD card" option if available.

4. How can I back up app data stored on an SD card?

You can back up app data stored on an SD card by connecting your device to a computer and copying the app data folder to your computer. You can also use a backup app from the Google Play Store to back up all your app data, including data on the SD card.

5. Are there any risks associated with storing app data on an SD card?

There are some risks associated with storing app data on an SD card. If the SD card gets damaged or corrupted, the app data may become inaccessible. It is also possible for the app data to be accidentally deleted or overwritten. Additionally, some apps may not function properly when their data is stored on an SD card.