Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where to find app data on sd card (Android)?

1. May 15, 2018 at 11:35 AM #1

Wrichik Basu

Gold Member

In my phone, a large number of apps have been moved to sd card.

Where do I find the app data if I view the sd card via windows explorer?

The reason I want this is, my phone is creating a lot of problems, and tomorrow I'm taking it to the service centre. They might want to factory reset the device. If they do so, I'll ask them to remove the sd card before doing it. Now, in this process, the app data will continue to take up space on sd card, and I need to manually delete it from Windows Explorer.

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2018 at 11:45 AM #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. May 15, 2018 at 1:14 PM #3

Wrichik Basu

Gold Member

Checked that. I won't access the interiors of phone storage, because that would need rooting and rooting voids guarantee.

The app data are all stored in Android folder in sd card, as per the article. That is what I needed.

Thanks for the help.

5. May 15, 2018 at 1:16 PM #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Who said accessing the interiors of phone storage voids the warranty? I've never heard of that. Maybe they are just trying to scare you.

If you turn on developer mode then you can access things like that. We've done it to install apps for student projects using the Android Studio and side loading your apps to the device.

6. May 15, 2018 at 1:19 PM #5

Wrichik Basu

Gold Member

That's what I've read on most sites explaining how to root the phone. Samsung executive says the same.

Maybe they are scaring me. But I have to abide by their rules, because if they deny to service my phone after rooting, I'll be in trouble. If they give me back my phone saying it's gone, I'll surely root it and try some hacks.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted